Brewing a strong bitter next weekend - any suitable kveiks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing 10 gallons of strong bitter next weekend. I'm going to plan on splitting it between my 6 gal conical and a carboy. I have a pouch of Wyeast ESB I'm going to pitch into the conical and let it run free in my garage. I've considered doing a comparison by using kveik in the carboy and putting my heating wrap on it. I have a jar of Lutra in my fridge, and just bought a package of Hornindal. I figure the Lutra would be way too clean for this style. Thoughts on the Hornindal? Can y'all think of a kveik strain that would give a better English-y flavor for a bitter?

I'm planning on brewing 10 gallons of strong bitter next weekend. I'm going to plan on splitting it between my 6 gal conical and a carboy. I have a pouch of Wyeast ESB I'm going to pitch into the conical and let it run free in my garage. I've considered doing a comparison by using kveik in the carboy and putting my heating wrap on it. I have a jar of Lutra in my fridge, and just bought a package of Hornindal. I figure the Lutra would be way too clean for this style. Thoughts on the Hornindal? Can y'all think of a kveik strain that would give a better English-y flavor for a bitter?

I've got a batch of Bartleby (Imperial's Hornindal) in primary. Esters are fruity in a vaguely UK kind of way.

I think if the aim is to make a bitter then use an English ale yeast strain. Plenty to choose from.

Yep - using the ESB yeast in the conical. Just experimenting with the kveik batch.
A luscious English bitter wort made with the finest malted barley and relatively subtle fresh English hops deserves better, in my honest opinion. Why not compare the same wort with a different English strain? There's much more variety with English strains and they've coevolved with English recipes to complement them much better. A bit like a Belgian saison strain in a Belgian saison. A German lager strain in a German lager. A Norwegian kveik in a Norwegian farmhouse ale or spud moonshine. And so on.

A luscious English bitter wort made with the finest malted barley and relatively subtle fresh English hops deserves better, in my honest opinion. Why not compare the same wort with a different English strain? There's much more variety with English strains and they've coevolved with English recipes to complement them much better. A bit like a Belgian saison strain in a Belgian saison. A German lager strain in a German lager. A Norwegian kveik in a Norwegian farmhouse ale or spud moonshine. And so on.
Thanks.

You're welcome. I can definitely recommend the spud moonshine. It’s a type of potato whisky spiced with caraway mainly. It’s called ‘aquavit’ in Scandinavia. Norwegian aquavit is the odd one out being made from spuds, one of the few reliable crops in Norway, historically. It’s the nicest by far, according to my taste. Swedish aquavit is fine, but the Danish stuff is a bit boring, like a very bland ‘ouzo’.

Back