Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpilot said:
Drowning Wasp Brewpub... came to me as I was sipping some home brew with my pastor and a wasp took a dive in my beer... didnt affect the taste much!

Regal wasp, saw lager.

I know that was post 19 in this thread, but I am just getting started in on it!
I still haven't come up with a name yet, although Bentley's Brewery is near the top. We all love our dogs so much!

bentley.jpg

Been trying to think of a name for my "brewery" now that i have a printer to print off some labels.

I was thinking of a using one of the gods of beer or gods of fermentation, but most seem to be taken... dammit.

One that came to my mind today was Code 4 Brewing Company.

Code 4 being the police code for no longer needing assistance. Obviously i still "need assistance" but possibly one day I won't...lol

Not sure if i'm set on that one, but i guess it's progress.

Well my wife and I haven't come up with a name yet but here's where we're going with it. Both choices have personal meanings to us.

Choice A:
Swig Brewing Company - Good to the Last Swig

We met each other at a bar called Swig. Got married a few years later.

No ideas on labels yet.

Choice B:
Lost Passport Brewing - Cause losing your passport sucks

On the first day of our honeymoon after a few beers or 8, I dove off a pier into the water and sliced open my forearm. The cut was a little over 6 inches long and about 1 inch deep. Once my wife quit freaking out and we got back from the hospital, and after a few more beers we realized that she had lost my passport.

We'd want the labels to look like passport pages and each brew would have a unique stamp. The date of the brew would also be stamped on the label using a rubber stamp and an ink pad.

What do you guys think?

I call mine Angry Beaver Brewing Company.

I named it in honor of my SWMBO. Every time she is mad with another woman, she calls her a "Beaver." As in "if that beaver thinks she can..." or "WTF is your problem, Beaver?"

It seemed like a good fit.

I'm still working on the logo, my artistic talent leaves a lot to be desired.

I decided on "dangling dead man brewery".. but also thinking of changing it to "dead teddy brewery" and replacing the hangman with a hanging teddy...

motivation behind the logo and name:

a friend of mine did something UNFORGIVABLE and i, as a sick joke, made and printed a t-shirt with his face on it with a line thru it, as in the anti-smoking signs.
n700869594_242450_7187.jpg

then when i thought about what to name my beer i though, why not just use the same character? so now i've immortilized my deathwish upon my ex-friend on my beer logo...
first drafts:
n700869594_702702_8290.jpg

but then decided on keeping it simple, the whole oval shape and ribbons has been done already:
n700869594_702704_9825.jpg

yeah, forgive and forget.. i know...but it's not like i HATE the guy anymore, i just think it's funny and i like the way it looks..

I've been toying around with the idea of a "brand" for my homebrews, as I plan to give them away(and as such put labels on them) and I still haven't settled on anything. I keep fish, so I've thought of calling it "Slippery Fish Homebrews," but I also have a cat that likes to stand under my feet while I'm busy in the kitchen, then when I look at him, flop down on the floor, so "Lazy Cat Homebrews" came to mind as well. I'm also an avid history buff and would like to include a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Reformation, maybe a reference to indulgences or the Avignon Papacy, but nothing's come to mind as of yet. I've also thought of "Gault's Gulch Ales" as a reference to my favorite book, but I still haven't graduated from college and I'm not sure where I'll end up, and if I come up with a name that I adore and decide to use in a business venture, but can't use due to the possibility of copyright infringements, I would be crushed.

I'd also love to come up with a brewery name that I could use the names of horrible dictators for my brews. (Mussolini Mead, Mao's Malty Amber, Saddam's Nutty Brown, Hitler's Hefeweizen, etc)

I named mine Flying Tiger Brewing Company. The name is in honor of the World War II flying unit called "The Flying Tigers", in which my grandfather flew the P-40 Warhawk.

Mischief Brewing.

Mischief is a kitten we adopted from the local SPCA about the time I got started brewing. That's her to the left, supervising.

Just thought of mine while bsin at work the other day. Boil Order Brewery. What do ya think?

I've decided to call my little brew co. Wild Sab's. Sab is a shortened version of my last name and a lot of people call me Chris Sab. One of my passions is hiking and camping and the wilderness in general and so I figured Wild Sab's fit. I think its got sort of an old timey ring to it so it suits me.

I haven't settled on a name yet. I initially liked "Harms Way Brewery", as it's a slight modification of my street's name. For some reason I've let SWMBO talk me out of it.

It's too horrible to use, but I can't completely walk away from the "Mos Eisley Brewery". "You will never find a more wretched hive of krausen and zymurgy."

I went with "Whiteaker Arms Brewing." I live in the whiteaker neighborhood in eugene, OR and my damned hippie roommate keeps letting people crash at our place while passing through town. At one point we had a bum living in my roommate's VW van in the driveway and a new orleans refugee couple living in a tent in our backyard. It was a tense month. I routinely wake up to fine complete strangers sleeping on MY couch in the living room. [/rant], hence the "arms" part.

Dubbel Dachs.....

In college I majored in Psych and Art... The art stuck but so did my buddies' nickname for me: Doc.

Fast forward to 3 years ago when I met my wonderful wife-to-be... She was in Med School at Hershey and bought me my first brewing kit....

I'm "Doc", she's an actual doctor.... Two docs. Double Doc's....

I like Belgian Dubbels = Dubbel
I like German beers = "Dach" just sounds German, lol....

Dubbel Dach's was born. It's pretty long winded to actually tell that story, so I am thinking of changing it.... On my one year anniversary of brewing I developed the logo on my avatar. On the second (in August), I am thinking of renaming. I've done my last 6 batches or so with my "brewing sensei", the guy who let me watch and learn, so I'm feeling a partnership name there....

Might just be "Ryan Brewery" seeing as that it's my first name and also his middle name. Don't want the wife to feel like she's demoted though!!!

The logo for DD's is the eagle from my goalie mask (attached) and a moon to balance it... I do love it. And had pints etched with it.

mask_hbt.jpg

Thinking of calling mine Four Fans Brewing. The SWMBO just started flying the C-130J (also known as the Four Fans of Freedom) about the time I started brewing. I'll probably name my beers after drop zones that she flies into. I have some ideas for a label but not so good with the artwork.

I named mine Old Republic Brewery after the fact that Texas was a sovereign nation for just about 10 years. I was thinking about Zydeco Goat because although I am a True Blue Texan, I am from a Cajun family, and if you stretch a little bit you can "translate" Zydeco Goat into Cajun Bock, and I thought that was kinda cool.

ORB won out because I have no graphic skills and the label was much easier to make.

ORB.jpg

Tim

I'm calling my simple, unassuming effort Front Porch Brewery. Here's the little write up I'm printing on my labels:

The front porch has long been a place where folks could sit a spell, enjoy the weather or escape the summer heat and talk with friends and neighbors. The front porch hearkens to a time when life was a little slower and neighbors knew one another. It seemed only natural to name this simple home brew effort for the two things I enjoy so much: my front porch, and beer.

FPBLogocopy.jpg

Well the brewing equipment was a gift from me to my dad on his birthday and it's something we do together. He was in the Coast Guard, I'm a Marine, dunzo!

Currently it's the name of the street I live on. Not too set at all on the name though. Wouldn't mind changing it.

there is a comedian big guy(ralphie may) and he is amazing he does skit on midgets and somewhere in there he mentions that some people refer to midgets as dwarfs

Dwarfs!!!!!!! Dwarfs are a fricken mythological creature. besides you can't be a dwarf without a battle axe. and we all know dwarfs like to drink so i live it

also always me to make dwarf like drinking comments on my labels and make fun of elves good times

Dizzy Hobbit's Darkest Homebrew

I like lord of the rings, one could say I have the stature of a Hobbit, and I try to find myself as dizzy as possible.

Fishbottom Brewery - Our beagles sometimes smell like death when they're out in the sun too long, and their asses are particularly ripe. Beagles have active anal glands, and they can smell like fish when they can't clear their anal glands. My wife, after letting the dogs inside after a long lay in the sun, "Good lord, these dogs have the fishbottom!"

I laughed for ten minutes, then decided it was the best name I would ever find. True story.

Liquid Hero is our brewery's name.

Our brewery=my back porch:D For now......:mug:

I never posted in this one, mine is Nagging Hag Brewing. I just think it has a nice ring to it, and at times the SWMBO does not like competing for my attention.

Humble Farmer Brewing.

My father and I both farm and brew together, so it was the first thing that came to mind. We're also working on learning to malt our own crop.

We may change the name, but it'll be something similar I think.

I refer to my basement and deck as "Blackwaterside Brewing".

This comes from an old Irish folk tune, specifically on the "Maid in Bedlam" album by the John Renbourne group. I chose this specifically because, when I first started homebrewing, I would drive on Fridays (the day I have off) to a local brewpub, and have a couple pints. I often did this on days I brewed my first few extract brews. I would have this particular album queued up, and "Blackwaterside" was the first track.

Ever since those few months, I equate that entire album with beer and brewing. It helps especially, since the song "John Barleycorn" is the fifth track.

Anywho... since that music is so tied to brewing in my mind, I can't help but to think of my entire hobby to the tune of "Blackwaterside."

Kings Kahuna.

Kahuna actually means TEACHER. It seems like all my life I have been the driving force behind leaders, and have yet to make it to the position of the King. Also, my family began taking vacations to Hawaii when I was 8, and we went every year until I graduated High School...along with My passion for Obnoxious Hawaiian Shirts...People have been calling me the BIG KAHUNA since I was about 10.

Anywho... since that music is so tied to brewing in my mind, I can't help but to think of my entire hobby to the tune of "Blackwaterside."

I have a two albums that serve the same purpose for me... music that I've brewed to so much, that when I hear it, I think of brewing.

Grateful Dead - Fallout from the Phil Zone (particularly, "Dancin' in the Streets")
The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace from God (particularly, "Turkish Song of the Damned")

three dudes brewery. me and 2 of my clostest friends got into brewing and have brewed every batch together since we started.

Well since I have just started, I don't have an official name, but since I live on Limestone Ct, I like the sound of Limestone Brewery. (that was a whole lot of commas!)

Back