Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy who has never brewed helped make a batch. After it was ready to drink and I had consumed quite a bit I told him he better come over and drink some before it was gone, his response.... don't drink all the beer you thirsty bastard! Thirsty Bastard Brewery was born.

SWMBO doesn't like the name I chose because she likes my beer. She says my sense of humor is too self-deprecating. Maybe so but I'm still going with

Miracle Brewing - If it's a good beer, it's a Miracle!
I'll get my son the Art Major to clean up the logo a bit but here's what I have so far...

MiracleLogo2.jpg

My name is Mathieu right it's pronounced ma2 so the beer is called Thieu's brew ( pronounced 2's brew) so people can say yo I'm drinking a 2 or Yo grab me a 2

Well I never thought I'd have one as I'll admit I thought it was silly. That being said, I am planning on labeling some beers as gifts and am either going with Cutthroat Brauerei or Trout Bum Brauerie. Cutthroat Customs is the name of my rod building business, and I aspire to be a trout bum....

Scarred Otter King Brewery

That's most likely not going to stick, just something random I came up with that is an anagram for my name (not including the word 'brewery').

I'm not good with graphic design so no logo/label for it yet, but I imagine an otter wearing a crown holding a beer with a scar on his face going over one eye, if you can picture that.

Henrik Wergeland

One of Norways most famous poets and the name of the street where I currently reside. A pencil portrait of him also works wonderfully as a logo. The chances of going pro in Norway are too slim to be worrying about licensing.

Henrik Wergeland

One of Norways most famous poets and the name of the street where I currently reside. A pencil portrait of him also works wonderfully as a logo. The chances of going pro in Norway are too slim to be worrying about licensing.

Growing up, my grandfather had horses. He named his horse farm "Blue Spruce Farms" because of the blue spruce trees he had planted and was growing in his back yard. My grandfather also made his own homemade wines, as well. This is where/how I came up with my homebrewery name, "Blue Spruce Brewery".

VanPort Brewing got its name after the lost city of VanPort, OR that was destroyed in a flood in 1948.

Also VanPort was the first name of the University all of the brewing partners attended, as well our wives either attended the same school or have some other connection to it. Between 6 people we have 8 Bachelors and Masters degrees.

We thought it would be appropriate to have a name that reflects how we met, and it is a unique name.

This is our logo, created by a friend of mine that also attended the university.
vanport-brewing.png

Anybody heard of Cherry Tree Brewing Co? I was thinking after first president/ brewer George Washington. I looked around and couldn't find one but I was just checking if anybody has heard of one.

nope! sounds original! lot's of good options on names too. George's axe IPA, Presidential Imperial stout, revolution esb, wooden teeth oaked IPA, dusty wig wee-heavy, Martha's raspberry cream ale...I could go on!

Also have to perfect a cherry wheat ale, you can't have a name like that without a good cherry wheat ale lol.

I was thinking of calling my brewery Captain K's Brewery. My last name starts with a K and I really like decorating for Halloween in a Pirate theme so my friends started calling me the Captain. Could lead to some cool beer names

Commodores’ Imperial Stout
Grand Cru for a Grand Crew
Poop Deck Porter
First Mates Rasberry Brown
Grog
etc.

Ugh, why does naming a brewery (home brewing or whatnot) have to be so dang hard.

I've been home brewing for couple of years and have yet to really find a good name. Here are a few that have run around my head:

Broken Tusk Brewing Co.
Byte Brewing Co.
Nybbles and Bits Brewing Co.
Three Finger Salute Brewing Co.
Bodacious Brewing Co.
Happy Water Brewing Co.

Do any of these stand out to you folks? If so, what picture do you have in your mind with your selection. I'm horrible at design work, so I'd like you all's input on what you see as far as a logo.

I like "Happy Water Brewing". It's a great poetic description of the stuff we love, or what it's made from. Or, maybe water that is lucky enough to be made into beer is "happy water". Whatever the source of the name, I love it.

My first homebrew is in the bottle, and I am (impatiently) waiting for it to finish carbonation. In the meantime, I decided to try and come up with a brewing company name and logo.

Because I do all the work in my basement, I'm calling it "Underground Aleworks" .:D Here's a simple logo I made up; now I need to work on a label for my first beer. I'm thinking of going with transportation-themed beer names, but we'll see. I like the logo, but I'm not sure how I'll incorporate it onto a beer label.
Thoughts?

underground_aleworks.jpg

I like "Happy Water Brewing". It's a great poetic description of the stuff we love, or what it's made from. Or, maybe water that is lucky enough to be made into beer is "happy water". Whatever the source of the name, I love it.

Right-O. That's why I picked it. Water that is chosen to be in beer should be called Happy Water!

My co-workers poo-poo'd the name though. *sigh*

My brother-in-law and I just call ourselves "Basement Brewing Company" because the party spot all throughout our highschool, college and post-grad years was my parents' basement in which my dad built a bar.
And it was always referred to as "The Basement", no matter what the context. No one would say "Are you going to Brian's this weekend?" It was always "Are you going to The Basement this weekend?"

We had so much trouble coming up with a name for our brew....I finally decided to name it Hemli's by combining letters from my wife's and children's names...it's unquie and means something to me at the same time.

The first batch I brewed, a homeless fella knocked on my door and asked for a blanket. I named that brown ale after him (roger's blanket). The second batch, I looked out my window and saw a hobo in a wheelchair smoking a joint. Later after he left, I saw two other dudes laying down under the bushes. I'm thinking of naming my brurry in honor of them. Heather's Hobos ? Like charlies angels!

The Bayou Johnny Brewing Company

Makers of the award winning, Bayou Johnny's Front Porch Pale Ale.

I have always thought iguanas were cool and while stationed at Ft Bragg my best friend, James, and I decided- as many young men do at some time or another- we were going to open a bar when we got out of the Army.
Never happened, of course:tank:

I had this fairly realistic 3' plastic iguana that stayed in the rear deck of my pov...seemed to have a little smirk goin' on...

But the name we had come up with way back stuck when I decided to start brewing last January.

And he just recently whipped up the logo for me.

His twin brother and younger brother are coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan next month and we're whipping up a nice backyard session beer for 'em.

:mug:

Fourth Street Brewing, my buddy and I who are the sole members of our little club met at the poker table, plus the poker references never end.

"Sud Paw Brewery"...German for South Paw. I do a little recreational boxing. The first time I ever had my jaw rattled was by a south paw. Just thought it sounded cool.

thinking bout either Red Raider Brewery (b/c I go to Texas Tech), Erskine Brewery (b/c thats the name of the street I currently live on), or Haboob Brewery (b/c a few weeks ago we had a crazy dust storm that was a Haboob)
what do yall think of those?

also trying to think of something that incorporates my Irish/German heritage, my joy of flying, or being a south paw

any thoughts?

I'm just getting back into brewing after about a 10 year hiatus, and am thinking of calling the new brewery the Laughing Dobie Brewery. We have two very goofy dobermans. And the first batch in the primary has been called 'Nubby Ale'

Back