Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, you guys are a bunch of geeks [1]

Secondly, I just spent most of a day reading through one thousand four hundred and eighty-something posts. That makes me an even bigger geek :)

Intro: I started brewing in 1995, made a few half-decent extracts, and a cider which was quite drinkable (and kicked like a mule -- have to do that again).

Then *things* *happened* in a life-changing way.

But I recently got to sorting out stuff that got shelved waybackwhen, and found my Papazian. So, here I am.

Wouter, proprietor, Tanyard Cat Breweries [2]

[1] In a good way, of course :)

[2] From _Ulysses._ I'm a geek in more ways than one. Google is your friend.

OK, you guys are a bunch of geeks [1]

Secondly, I just spent most of a day reading through one thousand four hundred and eighty-something posts. That makes me an even bigger geek :)

Intro: I started brewing in 1995, made a few half-decent extracts, and a cider which was quite drinkable (and kicked like a mule -- have to do that again).

Then *things* *happened* in a life-changing way.

But I recently got to sorting out stuff that got shelved waybackwhen, and found my Papazian. So, here I am.

Wouter, proprietor, Tanyard Cat Breweries [2]

[1] In a good way, of course :)

[2] From _Ulysses._ I'm a geek in more ways than one. Google is your friend.

nice! welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of knowlege on here and it is a great resource to have!!!

No way I can go through that many post, I got the name of mine due to an accident, First Extract kit I did was an Octoberfest style Ale, which I put in a 5 gallon Carboy not knowing I needed a blow off tube. Whoops.

I sat the Carboy in my Spare Bedroom for some unknown reason to ferment, (Maybe so I could watch it?). Woke up the next morning to find out it had blown the airlock off and had shot foam all over my spare bedroom.

I did 2 more beers in the spare bedroom and about 5 wines in there before moving the operation downstairs, so named it Spare Oom Brew after Tumnus from Narnia, as I had read the books as a kid several times and the movie had just came out a year earlier. Name seemed to fit.

Woolly Mammoth Brewing

Everything about me is large. My size, personality and most importantly my beard are all large so the name fits.

Woolly Mammoth Brewing

Everything about me is large. My size, personality and most importantly my beard are all large so the name fits.

I thought you were going to go somewhere else with that... maybe a trunk lol

I like the name... Could be some kick a$$ labels! :tank: welcome to the forum

When I started brewing I thought that a name that reflected family would be good, so I named my brewery FSA - Four Sons Ale. Older labels are attached.

Four Sons Ale.jpg

fsa diamond.jpg

Blind Dog Brewery

I named mine after my Chocolate Lab who started to go blind a couple years ago. I also used him for duck hunting so the "blind" has a 2 meanings.

A piece of string walked into a bar. The bartender said "Son, we don't serve your kind in here. Get'out!" The piece of string turned around, walked out, and never looked back. On that day, Frayed Knot Brewing was born.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Blind Dog Brewery

I named mine after my Chocolate Lab who started to go blind a couple years ago. I also used him for duck hunting so the "blind" has a 2 meanings.

I kid you not, I was thinking about using this name (and had not read this thread yet). My black lab mix is 12, and developed diabetes this spring that in turn caused his cataracts to get really bad....he can't see anything now. It's sad, so I am going with something different.

1DOWN5UP Brewing. I like motorcycles ;)

BrewHeads

People are into sneakers are called sneaker-heads, people who smoke alot of pot are called pot-heads....

People who are into craft beer and/or homebrew are BrewHeads.

image-3127030649.jpg

Pilgrim Abbey:

I'm from Plymouth, Ma. Home of the Pilgrims. But also, a pilgrim is someone who embarks on a quest for something conceived of as sacred, and for me that is the perfect homebrew. Label to follow as I am in the final stages of my first original recipe...will post!

Thinking of going with Lonesome Llama Brewing.
I'm new to this state and I brew alone so is kinds fits.

But then there is the JLB. There are 4 generations of us with those initials so that might work. And with the last name of Box it should be easier but I can't think of anything using it. Anybody for some "Box Beers"

Hipcheck Brewing Company. I went with this because besides brewing, hockey is my favorite hobby/sport. And in hockey there is nothing better than witnessing a sweet hip check!!

HipCheck Brewing Company copy.jpg

I came up with Barnstormer Brewing. I thought it fitting, I'm a pilot and am into anything aviation. I like the name but I'm not totally sold on it, so that's it until something better evolves...

logo1.png

Winter Hill Handcrafted Ales - Named after the area I live in/started brewing - also the same area where Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang were based.

It also represents my favorite season, winter, and if I stretch it it fits my favorite hobby too (other than beer) - skiing. (you ski down a winter hill....).

I live down in snow country in Western New York, so quite fittingly, I decided to go with Lake Effect Brewing Company.

Mine is derived from my role playing (LARPG, D&D) and Internet alias - Maegnar, which in Tolkien's elvish language stands for "Piercing Flame". "Maegbrau" should stand for "Piercing brew", but I've decided to keep the fiery motifs, and after some options and a helpful insight from my wife - I now have the logo.
Maegbrau-logo.jpg

twstandley said:
Winter Hill Handcrafted Ales - Named after the area I live in/started brewing - also the same area where Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang were based.

It also represents my favorite season, winter, and if I stretch it it fits my favorite hobby too (other than beer) - skiing. (you ski down a winter hill....).

Love the name, all is quiet on L street.

Well Ive been brewing for about a year now and it never fails. Everytime I do a brew and have people over theres always a Pint glass broken during the process. So
The Broken Pint Brew Co. is what im naming it. Seems kinda fitting.

I have a good friend that comes over to have a home brew from time to time. Every time he pours and tastes a beer he says "It's like a sore dick...you can't beat it!" Thus the Sore Dick Brewery was born. Of course the tag line is "You can't beat a Sore Dick!"

Well, I live in a small town about 2000 feet higher than other towns nearby, inside a large bend in the Columbia River. So,

Big Bend Brewing

seems appropriate and catchy. And my tag line is

"Come on up and get Bent."

Only just getting into it, but going with "Sketchy Brewing" currently. Plenty of good opportunities for good taglines. "Sketchy at the best of times."......"Sketch-tactularly / tastically hand crafted in my basement."......"Legal? Perhaps. Delicious? Certainly. Sketchy? Of course.".......

Blue Devil Brewery - It's a take on my call sign from when I was deployed.

Here's a logo that I just came up with.

image-3835549130.jpg

Ping jockey brewery. I'm in the navy and I'm a sonarmen that serves on submarines. An old nickname for sonarmen was ping jockeys.

My family has a long tradition with "b" names. All of the boys in the family for years are named some collaboration of " BBB", with the eldest son on each family taking on the fathers first name as his middle name. Even all of the hunting dogs that we have had has started with a B ( Belle,Bonnie, Bessie, Brown, Butter). So I decide to follow suit and go with Brown Bottle Brewery - Simple. Good Beer.

bbbarrontine said:
my family has a long tradition with "b" names. All of the boys in the family for years are named some collaboration of " bbb", with the eldest son on each family taking on the fathers first name as his middle name. Even all of the hunting dogs that we have had has started with a b ( belle,bonnie, bessie, brown, butter). So i decide to follow suit and go with brown bottle brewery - simple. Good beer.

image-3445090996.jpg

bbbarrontine said:
My family has a long tradition with "b" names. All of the boys in the family for years are named some collaboration of " BBB", with the eldest son on each family taking on the fathers first name as his middle name. Even all of the hunting dogs that we have had has started with a B ( Belle,Bonnie, Bessie, Brown, Butter). So I decide to follow suit and go with Brown Bottle Brewery - Simple. Good Beer.

Logo -

image-1470240876.jpg

My brewery is Bear Sh*t Brewery. The name came from a drunken card game in northern Ontario (Big time Bear country). The idea got into my head and I must have spoken about it one to many times because 6 months later my wife bought me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. One year later it is a full blown obsession. I have upgraded all of my gear and will be brewing my first AG batch this weekend.

My last name is Tiberio, Pronounced "Tie beer ee oh" I am leaning toward adding an extra "E" so it literally says Beer and pronounces the same way...

TIBEERIO Brewing Co.

I made Imperial Wolf Brewing for several reasons:

1: Bad Wolf Brewing was already taken by someone on here. BadWolf.usmc is my normal gamer tag so i thought about naming my "brewery" along those lines.

2: I chose Imperial because i like the meaning it gives to brewing, but also the old Victorian age and the Tsar of russia, and decided to keep the wolf as part of it.

Both my assistant brewer and my first name is Scott. So we came up with a name that is a play on words and also something literal: Hopping Scotts. I am working on a logo and just wanted some input. I'm picturing putting this logo over a pavement or blacktop background. But I already had one critic (my wife) tell me the logo is confusing with the words spaced so close together. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hhs.png

Both my assistant brewer and my first name is Scott. So we came up with a name that is a play on words and also something literal: Hopping Scotts. I am working on a logo and just wanted some input. I'm picturing putting this logo over a pavement or blacktop background. But I already had one critic (my wife) tell me the logo is confusing with the words spaced so close together. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why she finds it confusing... I think it's clever, unique and without any explanation at all, very clear.

I'm not saying it warrants changing, but I can't help myself from brainstorming ;)

So since your name is a play on "Hopscotch", what about shortening your Brewery name to "HopsScotts" and fusing the two words onto one hopscotch board? "HopsScotts" would utilize the correct form of the word "hops" AND maintain a more natural looking hopscotch board on the logo... 1,1,1,2,1,1,2,1 as well as sounding more like "hopscotch".

Just a thought.

Mine is Dark Woods Brewery.. I am Doctor K. Woods and my Email is Drkwoods@....
I got tired of people asking me what Dark Woods Meant in my Email.. So I finally went with it cause it literally has two meanings.

DARKWOODS.jpg

Back