Brewers yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
I got a noob question i've done about 14 batches now.
But not quite sure on some types of yeast.
I usually use Danstar nottingham yeast, or the belle saison.
I just tried the safale s-33 did not like it.
But i wonder what is the difference between the big 1 lb bags of brewers yeast?
I could get 1 lb of Now or Twinlab brewers yeast for under 10$ Or spend like 5$ for 11 gram packet.
Or what about still spirits turbo yeast? or is that for liquors only?
Just trying to save some money, i already harvest my yeast but i'd like to save even more money.
Is it possible to buy bulk beyond the 11g packets then?

I don't know much about these other yeasts you are mentioning.... but, isn't "brewers yeast" sold as sort of a nutritional supplement??? My guess, is when it is sold in bulk like this, the quality/purity of it is suspect at best for brewing. I know they sell it at our local co-op in a bulk bin that is essentially open to whatever might get in there.

As soon as you say "1lb bag" of yeast, the very first thing that I think of is - How are you going to keep that yeast from getting contaminated over the course of it sitting around for a year. Seems that you would be highly likely to end up with infected beer...... and ruining a few $20-$50 batches of beer is going to eat up any savings you could possibly get in the first place...... And, that is assuming this yeast itself would turn out a quality product in the first place.

You can make a quality pack of yeast go a LONG, LONG way if you really get your harvesting/starter making skills down pat..... It is not unreasonable at all to brew 5-10-20+ beers from one pack of yeast if you really know what you are doing. And, you can do it without sacrificing quality.

This is not my thread, but here is a link to the method I also use a lot - basically making an initial starter and dividing it into smaller starters..... It is a GREAT way to stretch your yeast out and not have to worry about hop debris, trub, etc when trying to collect it after a fermentation is done.....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/harvesting-yeast-starters-update-474090/

Yeah i figured it was low quality or not meant for brewing. I guess staleness or contamination would be the key. That's usually the reason i don't like to re-use my yeast more than 2-3 times.
Just out of fear it'll be bad or sit too long. That or i'll do a dark, ipa, or high gravity beer and figure it is spent.

Back