Brewers pretzels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayWhat1

Reaction score
I've seen a lot about pretzels on here so I decided to try my hand at them. I didn't really take pictures of my process but it's pretty easy. Here they are before they baked.

CIMG0136.bmp

And here they are after they got out.

CIMG0137.bmp

Here's my recipe.

16 oz unfiltered beer, room temperature
6 cups AP flour
1 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs, beat

I tossed it all together in a big bowl and kneaded it for like 15 minutes. I let it rise in a bowl for 15 minutes then punched it down and formed it into the beauties you see above. I set them on the cookie sheet and let them raise for an hour. I rubbed a little water on them and stuck on some kosher salt. Then, I preheated the oven to 425°F and baked them for 20 minutes.

They didn't brown as well as I wanted them too so next time I'm going to try out an egg wash or maybe some butter. The consistency was really good, I was a little worried about not giving the yeast enough time to wake up but they rose like a dream. Oh, and I didn't have any homebrew to use for the beer so I used some SNPA.

CIMG0135.bmp

I got the Hobgoblin for me. I heard really good things about it around here and when I saw it at the liquor store I had to get it!

I also made some mustard to go along with it.

CIMG0132.bmp

Not a great picture, but trust me it was good. Here's the recipe.

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup mustard seed

First, you mix all the dry ingredients except the mustard seed in a microwave safe bowl. In a separate bowl mix together all the wet stuff and have it standing by. This next part is way easier if you have a spice grinder but I'm not so lucky. Instead I used a food processor. Stick the mustard seed into the food processor and grind it up for at least a minute or until it's all ground up. Really fast, put the ground up mustard seed into the dry ingredients and then on top of that put the liquid mixture. Again, really fast, put the bowl in the microwave and heat it on high for at least a minute. Speed really is key here. Once you grind up the mustard seed and put the liquid stuff on there it starts getting hot and if you don't do something about it it'll get out of hand really fast. The heat peaks at 15 minutes, but it peaks really hot. You're making, pretty much, the same stuff as mustard gas. The heat stops it from getting hot so I'll stress this again, GO QUICK! I made the mistake of trying to mix it up for maybe 15 seconds and it's probably the second most hot thing I've ever tasted. Anyway, after you get it out of the microwave put it back into your food processor or blender or if you have one of those wand blenders that would work great too and blend it for another minute, or until it's a good consistency. Then, pour it into a glass jar or some other container and let it cool, uncovered, until it's room temperature. Then you are free to enjoy it!

Because mine was so hot I had to salvage it, so I mixed it with some cream cheese and it was awesome on my pretzels.

I did these this weekend for a party, using Sierra Nevada Porter as the beer. I did add a little bread yeast and I only had King Arthur Bread Flour, not AP. Apparently I'm not very good at shaping them. They came out more like bagels!

However, they tasted great and got good reviews.

Moonpile said:
. Apparently I'm not very good at shaping them. They came out more like bagels!

Don't be so hard on yourself, it takes some practice to get right. A few things I can suggest to improve the shape:

1) Make certain you let the dough rest at least 15 minutes (covered) after you have divided them into the final balls in order to allow the gluten strands to relax and not ball up.

2) When you make the 'rope' it should be very long, probably on the order of 18" (maybe longer) and very thin, almost to the point where you think it may break.

3) To form, you take the rope and with a twisting motion you form the twist and then place the back onto the dough. It's really hard to explain, maybe I should make some pictures... But it should be done in one quick motion, and you need room on the counter!

4) If the holes aren't big enough prior to rising, they'll fill back in both by contraction of the dough (although the rest should mitigate a lot of this effect) and furthermore by the pre-bake simmer (which I highly recommend) or the baking process.

I agree with all the points above and learned them the hard way. Well, I don't know if having to eat mediocre, but still delicious pretzels as hard, but...

The 2 minute boil prior to baking makes a huge difference in getting that awesome golden crust.

I'm cooking up a batch of these right now. Good for lots of laughs rolling them out with the SWMBO.

'Just grab it and pull', "Your end it too fat', etc. lol

I decided to go with the egg wash this time. Turned out really well. Browned very nicely. I'm at the cottage on dial up or I'd post the pics.

Here's the final product, very tasty. The kids loved them.

2pyw1dz.jpg

Sorry about the pic size, I need to work on web sizing.

ya know, a few weeks ago i managed catch an alton brown good eats episode entitled: Preztel Logic
He even went so far as explain how to use the lye safely if i remember correctly

Okay!! I just saw this thread about 20 minutes ago and the breadmaker is now kneeding to its hearts content!

Recipe:

2 Cups of light beer, right out of the Primary
2 packets of active dry yeast... (I wanted to speed up the process a bit)
2 TBSP of brown sugar
2 Tsp of salt
4 TBSP of margarine
Edit: 5.5 cups of flour... PS. Thanks pete, can you tell I am excited about my pretzels?

I will let it run through the cycle of the bread machine tonight. (mix, knead, rise, kneed, rise)
Tomorro morning I will run it through the cycle again. basically punch it down and let it rise again.

Then, Shape, 2 hour rise at room temp. boil w/ baking soda, and bake at 475 for 12 to 15 min.

I am excited to see how much "beer flavor" comes through in the final product!

xcrusader said:
Okay!! I just saw this thread about 20 minutes ago and the breadmaker is now kneeding to its hearts content!

Recipe:

2 Cups of light beer, right out of the Primary
2 packets of active dry yeast... (I wanted to speed up the process a bit)
2 TBSP of brown sugar
2 Tsp of salt
4 TBSP of margarine

I will let it run through the cycle of the bread machine tonight. (mix, knead, rise, kneed, rise)
Tomorro morning I will run it through the cycle again. basically punch it down and let it rise again.

Then, Shape, 2 hour rise at room temp. boil w/ baking soda, and bake at 475 for 12 to 15 min.

I am excited to see how much "beer flavor" comes through in the final product!

Won't you need some flour?

I made some pretzels like this over the weekend, turned out FANTASTIC. I used dunkelweizen as my beer, which made the pretzels turn out really really well. The yeast did not do much, as my pretzels were fairly flat. I had to add about another full cup or more of flour to get the mixture doughy enough to actually roll up and not stick to everything including the inside of the bowl. I wanted to upload pics, but I couldn't get into picasa yesterday to upload them. I'll try to do that if I get some time.

I used Saywhat1's recipe w/ hefeweizen (straight from the primary actually, I just didn't rack the last little bit). I added about three tablespoons of whole wheat flour because the dough was a bit too sticky with just the six cups of flour. I brushed half the batch with olive oil, and half the batch with butter - the butter brushed pretzels turned out much tastier and browner. I will definitely make again, they were all quite tasty. The ones in the picture are the butter brushed ones.

DSCN2086.jpg

Back