Brew stand development - HYRMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzalito

Reaction score
So, my name is Gonzalo, I´m an engineer, from Argentina and I´ve been looking at HERMS, BIAB and RIMS brew systems, and I´ve been thinking if I could merge part of each one fo them and create a perhaps better solution than a RIMS.

So basically I want to create a hybrid between them.

I´ll show you next in the scheme below. If I got everything right I´d be able to do everything in a single vessel.

PLEASE HIGHLIGHT any mistakes I might have over the proces and stages.

I´m new at this, but eager to improve.
076.png

Making it short. Single vessel as BIAB. Heat exchanger as in HERMS.
Special difference is that everything is done in the same vessel. Boiling occurs through the heat exchanger.

Heat exchanger is now to be calculated. Gotta grab my books again to calculate the coil length.

My idea is to have three temp sensors (open ardbird can do it?), specially one after the heat exchanger stage. Heat exchanger will use a low volume of mineral oil.

What do you think guys? I think it might work.

PS: I WANT TO USE OPEN ARDBIR FOR THIS. I have no programming skills though.

Opinions anyone. I'm about to lunch myself with this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I don't have experience with this, but, is there a possibility that boiling in a herms coil will generate bubbles that will interfere with the pumping action?

I don't have experience with this, but, is there a possibility that boiling in a herms coil will generate bubbles that will interfere with the pumping action?

Actually that should´nt happen, since pumping action occurs below the boiling stage. Bubbles would go up the coil and exit in the upper side. Pump will practically never need priming because it is placed in the lower level of the system, and at the same level where the discharge to the fermenter is located. That way everything is also gravity fed to the fermenter.

Is your heat source for the recirculation and boil is an external coil in mineral oil with an electric coil? Is that similar to an on demand water heater? I'm curious to see how effective that would be. It's similar to a calandra in concept.

A vacuum at high temps will cause cavitation, so you may have some things to work out at the pump. I'd add a priming valve to the pump inlet.

Is your heat source for the recirculation and boil is an external coil in mineral oil with an electric coil? Is that similar to an on demand water heater? I'm curious to see how effective that would be. It's similar to a calandra in concept.

A vacuum at high temps will cause cavitation, so you may have some things to work out at the pump. I'd add a priming valve to the pump inlet.

It is indeed. As in a HERMS setup the heating liquid is water, boiling temperature wouldn't be possible to achieve. By using mineral oil in a reduced volume, this can be achieved and thermal inertia shouldn't be so big.

I was planning to make a peristaltic pump with a motor and some silicone tubing, so that wort isn't in contact with anything mechanic.

It is something like a "on demand" water heater. Basically what I´m getting here is a BIAB-RIMS, without the resistance directly in contact with the fluid (HERMS like part).

On the other hand, are the steps for brewing correct or am I missing something?

Yes your steps are in the ball park. I wouldn't be concerned with an element being in contact with the wort. Your building an external calandra which should be functional.

You need a boil to isomerize the hops and create a hot break to remove proteins. Getting enough heat and a stable flow will be your challenge. I'd still be cautious of creating either a vacuum or high pressure in the heater portion of the unit.

Rims and herms are not used for the boil only temp control so a boil would be a challenge.

Ssbrewtech is coming out with a calandra in the winter. I'm not sure how they have engineered that yet, from what I've seen it's an internal system in the boil kettle.

Yes your steps are in the ball park. I wouldn't be concerned with an element being in contact with the wort. Your building an external calandra which should be functional.

You need a boil to isomerize the hops and create a hot break to remove proteins. Getting enough heat and a stable flow will be your challenge. I'd still be cautious of creating either a vacuum or high pressure in the heater portion of the unit.

Rims and herms are not used for the boil only temp control so a boil would be a challenge.

Ssbrewtech is coming out with a calandra in the winter. I'm not sure how they have engineered that yet, from what I've seen it's an internal system in the boil kettle.

I´ve never heard of ssbrewtech, but i see they make some seriously nice machines.

I guess then that I can give it shot. I think it can work, main problem will be probably the flow rate; it might be higher than I was thinking. This will make everything doable within the same vessel, except cooling and fermentation (which will be done at the exit).

Tests with water alone should give me an idea, but first i need to prototype this thing.

I´d like to use open ardbir, but i think I´ll have some issues with it.

So.. I´ll be starting this any moment now. Already ordered the temp sensors and lcd screen. Got to buy the rest of the electronics but pretty much will be starting any moment now with the build.

Wat do you think finally about the external samll boiler? think it can work?

As other have said, it may work as long as you can get (and keep) the oil hot enough to boil your wort, but not increase the pressure in the boil container to the point of causing back pressure on your pump.

Latest posts

Back