Brew Stand / Cart "Wish List"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of finally designing and commissioning a brew stand and want to get input from those who already brew on one.

What are some things to keep in mind or design allowances for, like wiring for electricity, pump location and mounts, chiller mounts, etc. Etc.

I am currently using propane and an 8 gallon boil kettle with 70qt Coleman MLT. I will be upgrading to a keggle BK but will probably want to keep my Coleman for the insulation.

I want to move to 10gal in the next year, which is what has spurred this decision. Picking up all this liquid isn't much fun anymore.

I guess I just want to "future proof" as much as possible. I am in between a two tier (HLT above, use pump between MLT and BK) and a single tier with two pumps. Long term I'd like to go all electric.

Thanks!

I have a three burner setup and love it. I routinely knock out 3 10 gal batches at a time because I can heat at every stage (do this in about 8 hrs worth of time). Would just take a little longer to do with a cooler MLT. Only thing I would do different would be to have a 20 gal pot that could double as a MLT or BK (MLT for 10 gal high gravity beers, otherwise used as a BK).

Plan the stand for twice the batch size you ever think you'll do. It's always more expensive if you have to modify the stand. Seriously, imagine the ultimate system for your budget and space and build the stand so that you can easily add the things you can only dream of now. I have had two stands built and ended up having both of them modified during my ownership. The modifications cost almost as much as the stand. It would help if I could do the welding myself, I realize.

I prefer a single tier with pumps so if you increase kettle size, you're not worried about height restrictions like you would be if you were using gravity. Plus, having owned both, I prefer single tier for ease of use.

Good luck.

Thanks guys!

I have a three burner setup and love it. I routinely knock out 3 10 gal batches at a time because I can heat at every stage (do this in about 8 hrs worth of time). Would just take a little longer to do with a cooler MLT. Only thing I would do different would be to have a 20 gal pot that could double as a MLT or BK (MLT for 10 gal high gravity beers, otherwise used as a BK).

Is that your brew stand you are currently using in your Sig line?

Thanks guys!

Is that your brew stand you are currently using in your Sig line?

yup! It's completly manual, which I like. I can't just walk away from it and let electronics control everything. Makes me feel a little more involved in the process.

I'm making my stand so all vessels can tip easily on hinged platforms. Makes cleaning a breeze for large vessels

I also built hinges on mine. I found that I never use the kettle hinge as I can just pull the keggle down empty. I do use the dumper on the mashtun however every time.

Latest posts

Back