Brew Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwaven

Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has any comments on my latest brew.

This was brewed from a BIAB kit labeled to make a "German Pilsner". The kit was a bit on the older side, had it sitting around for a bit.

Anyway the brew process went fine as far as I could tell. I did leave the wort in the pot 12-20 hours (lid on) while it cooled rather than adding the yeast and fermenting right away. So this was probably not great but not sure if its the reason for my issues below.

I also added a fair amount of Biofine Clear when I switched into secondary fermentation. (used fast ferment)

What I've noticed is that the beer if firstly not clear at all. Especially not given I used Biofine.

Also the beer has a tangy smell and tastes on the sour side to me. Yet going down it does turn fairly bitter.

ABV calculates around 4.5-5%.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Does it sound like something went wrong? If so any ideas?

I've included a picture, though I realize you cannot taste or smell it. :)

Cheers!

german.pilsner.jpg

What kind of yeast did you use and at what temperature did you ferment?

An infection accounts for both the cloudiness and the sour taste.

If you are doing the no-chill method you need to invest in a HDPE container that you can run near boiling wort into and squeeze the air out or use a corny keg or similar vessel that you can flush with co2 after the hot transfer.

A beer can easily go sour and grow a nasty infection in that amount of time. Especially cause it hangs around in 70-100F range for most of if it's time cooling down.

Slow chilling could also be a cause of haze, lacking a good cold break. But sourness does hint toward an infection.

There are brewers who let their wort cool in the kettle over a 12-18 hour period, and reportedly their beer has no problems. I've left (chilled) wort for that long in a (closed) bucket to precipitate trub, without any adverse effects.

What kind of yeast did you use and at what temperature did you ferment?

Unfortunately I don't have the package anymore, however it would have been the dry yeast that came with the kit.

An infection accounts for both the cloudiness and the sour taste.

If you are doing the no-chill method you need to invest in a HDPE container that you can run near boiling wort into and squeeze the air out or use a corny keg or similar vessel that you can flush with co2 after the hot transfer.

A beer can easily go sour and grow a nasty infection in that amount of time. Especially cause it hangs around in 70-100F range for most of if it's time cooling down.

Slow chilling could also be a cause of haze, lacking a good cold break. But sourness does hint toward an infection.

There are brewers who let their wort cool in the kettle over a 12-18 hour period, and reportedly their beer has no problems. I've left (chilled) wort for that long in a (closed) bucket to precipitate trub, without any adverse effects.

I suppose there is no way to know what infected the beer (if that's the case) I'm usually pretty good at using StarSan...etc.

Normally I do try and cool my wort down right away. This batch happened to be an exception to that. I left the lid on with the thought that this should keep contaminants out.

Do you think it should be drank still? ;)

Cheers!

I suppose there is no way to know what infected the beer (if that's the case) I'm usually pretty good at using StarSan...etc.

Normally I do try and cool my wort down right away. This batch happened to be an exception to that. I left the lid on with the thought that this should keep contaminants out.

Do you think it should be drank still? ;)

Cheers!

If it's palatable to you, drink it. If not, let it sit for a few weeks in a very cold fridge and see what happens, it may improve. Lagers are "lagered" for a purpose.

You could also add some fruit juice (or concentrate) to a glass of that beer, drink it as a shandy or beermosa.

Anyway, inspect your equipment for areas that may trap bugs. Clean and sanitize well, paying special attention to hidden areas. Like (kettle) valves, threaded couplers etc.

If it's palatable to you, drink it. If not, let it sit for a few weeks in a very cold fridge and see what happens, it may improve. Lagers are "lagered" for a purpose.

You could also add some fruit juice (or concentrate) to a glass of that beer, drink it as a shandy or beermosa.

Anyway, inspect your equipment for areas that may trap bugs. Clean and sanitize well, paying special attention to hidden areas. Like (kettle) valves, threaded couplers etc.

Thanks for the help. Will take some extra time to go over the equipment before the next brew. I had let it soak in PBW and everything. Oh well will see.

Cheers!

Unfortunately I don't have the package anymore, however it would have been the dry yeast that came with the kit.

Many Lager/Pilsner kits include Saflager W-34/70, chances are you used that. These yeasts are very slow flocculators, leaving beer hazy unless lagered at (near) freezing temps (30-34F) for 6 weeks to settle it out.

That does not explain the sourness you're tasting, although suspended yeast can taste a bit sour/tangy. Without lagering the beer won't be as crisp and clean as a commercial draft of that type that did. These beers are actually quite difficult to brew to a commercial standard, requiring special equipment and usually lots of practice and dedication.

I just had a thought... does Biofine Clear go bad? I've had it a good year and its gone through a winter in the garage so it likely froze some. Wondering if that may have contributed to this?

Latest posts

Back