Brew Shoes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
So I wasn't sure where to post this, so I chose equipment.

I've been having problems with plantar fasciitis (basically straining of connective tissue between heel and arch). It's the worst on brew day due to the hard concrete/tile flooring where I brew.

Anyone have any suggestions on a supportive yet light and comfortable shoe? Don't they make special shoes for chefs that accomplish this? Anyone else have this issue?

I would think that any shoe with proper arch support would do the trick. As far as chefs, I know at least one (probably more) swear by Crocs. If it were me, I'd go with boots with a good sole insert.

I've been having problems with plantar fasciitis (basically straining of connective tissue between heel and arch). It's the worst on brew day due to the hard concrete/tile flooring where I brew.

Anyone have any suggestions on a supportive yet light and comfortable shoe? Don't they make special shoes for chefs that accomplish this? Anyone else have this issue?

I have to be honest and say that I'm surprised you are feeling this while brewing. I've never had PF but I have had peroneal tendinitis from golfing. KT Tape helped me tremendously. Their website shows how to use the tape for PF. Anything in the feet is painful and no fun. Good luck!

I like my Crocs, but I'll agree with Qhrumphf that there's nothing like good, whole foot support and cushioning like my Merrells give me when I'm on my feet all day. There's also those thick rubber and anti-fatigue floor mats which may help, though I haven't used them.

I hated PF, especially in the mornings when getting out of bed. It felt like I was being stabbed in the heel. What helped me (beside good shoes) was stretching my calves early and often, putting inserts in my shoes and NEVER going barefoot when it was acting up.

Best of luck to you, I know it's nasty business...

I don't have PF but I can relate to the standing around on a brew day on a hard surface. I went to Home Depot and picked up one of those Anti-fatigue mats they sell, very soft. The one I got was a rectangular one in brown, they use them in front of sinks so when your washing your dishes. I think it was around $18 if I'm not mistaken.

I have a pair of OOFOS Sandals that I wear around the house when I am having this problem. Also, the Sketchers walking shoes have done wonders for me.

So, just for consideration, conventional wisdom has pointed to supportive shoes for such problems. As a runner, I used to struggle with pf and achilles problems regularly. These problems went away as I made a gradual switch to more minimal, flat, non-supportive shoes. I can't speak to whether this would work for everybody, but it certainly helped me.

The idea is that gradually switching will strengthen the muscles that go unused in traditional footwear.

Food for thought.

I would likely stay away from any CROCS with the holes on the top - don't want to accidentally splash wort over your feet and get polka dot burns...

That said, I have one of those anti-stress floor mats in my kitchen, and it works wonders.

This is a different issue than yours, but I mention it as a possibility. My cousin is a podiatrist. We ran into each other at a wedding about 20 years ago and were having a conversation about a REALLY painful heel spur I had at the time. I told him another podiatrist I had gone to had done ultrasound therapy and recommended orthotics @ $300.+. My cousin told me to go out and get a pair of good-quality running shoes with as much cushioning as I could find --- cushioning was the key. Buy the one that feels the best to me and don't skimp on cost! Then wear them around the house for a couple days and see how I feel. I figured if nothing else, I'd end up with a good pair of walking/running shoes, which I happened to be in need of. So I did what he said, and before a couple days was up, my foot pain was gone and it has never returned.

I have PF as well. I went to my podiatrist and had him order custom made orthotic inserts. I have 2 pair, one for work, one for home. Insurance paid for them.

Trust me I know how bad it can hurt on hard surfaces, the orthotics are a god send.

shoesforcrews.com caters to food service employees. I've had a pair and they are pretty great. Another recommendation would be to invest in an anti-fatigue mat. Not the kind at the local home center, but the kind at restaurant supply store (Cash & Carry/Smart & Final). The same kind of mats that grocery store checkers use.

My 0.02

Thanks for the reminder that I need a new pair of brewing shoes. I want to find lined hole free crocs or croc type clogs.

I've got a 15 year old pair of Dr. Martens boots that are my best friend. Two line cook jobs in busy restaurants, every formal occasion and every brew day. Sometime's I don't even take them off to sleep. I even bought a new pair and they just don't compare. They just don't make them like they used to I guess.

I dealt with PF for a year. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... +1 for custom orthotics if you insurance will pay. Mine didn't. So I use the superfeet insert i bought at REI. I use the blue one as it fit my arch the best. No problems now.

being a long-time distance runner, I've dealt with PF several times. One thing that I found helpful was twice/day (I did it right when I woke up and again right before getting into bed) was rolling your foot on a golf ball. Just put the ball on the floor, position it right under the arch of your foot, put moderate pressure on the golf ball and roll back and forth under your arch. It will probably hurt like hell at first, but it is a good way to stretch the plantar fascia, which will ultimately reduce the swelling and help prevent re-occurrence.

I wear Patagonia shoes while brewing for my heels and I also pull up a seat next to the kettle to help with back pain.

Shoesforcrews is a good source, but what I have found works wonders for me is the Walmart/Dollar General work shoes in the yellow and black box. Treadsafe is the brand. The slip on clog type is under 20 dollars. No holes like the consumer Crocs, but there are vent holes above the modest heel so if you spill any liquid in, it will drain out. Add a 10 dollar pair of Dr. Scholls PF inserts, and they are great. I've tried Doc Martens, Crocs, Dansko's, Sketcher's and Shoes for Crews, and the best bang for the buck to me is the 20 Treadsafe's with the Dr Scholls inserts for 30 bux total, then replace about every 8-11 months.

The golfball trick sounds like something I used to do at an old rent house, there was a tree in the back yard that dropped these seed pods that were the size of golf balls, but kinda prickly. When I would get home from work, I would go outside and roll my feet around on one of them, and at first it was painful, but then more like a foot massage. I should figure out what kind of tree that was an plant one here...

Chef Jay

Dude. I don't think you're cut out for brewing. I would quit if I were you... LOL

Just kidding!! ;)

I think... :drunk:

Crocs... Bistro Pro... Black. None of that Batali Orange BS

I'm a Shoe's for crews guy, last few kitchens I was in had terribly slippery grouted tile floors (campus dining) and SFC are incredible at being non slip. I've got a pair of these

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=US_en&route=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=8290

Or something very similar, they change styles often. They've held up for 2 years and they're in great condition, should last me another 2 at least. Really good for brewing, very water proof. Only issue is that they track in a lot of **** due to the non slip ridges on the bottom.

I use Superfeet corrective insoles and my regular varied footwear. I've done this for a couple of years with excellent results.

Back