Brew Kettle Size, does it change the recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbelanger

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal kettle that I want to use to make an IPA recipe. The recipe calls for steeping the grains in 7 gallons so the final volume is 5.25 gal. I can't accommodate that much water and will need to steep in 3-4 gal. and then add water in the fermenter to bring the volume back up. Will this effect my OG? Should I change the recipe?

7 gallons is a lot for steeping.
if its all-grain and thats the water needed for the mash you can split the boil between multiple pots and combine it.

really need the recipe to answer.

Lagunitas IPA Clone 5 Gallon (Extract Version)

Light DME 6.5lb
Cara-Pils Dextrin 1lb
Crystal 20° 1lb
Munich Malt (10L) 1lb
Wheat Malt .75lb
Crystal 60° .50lb

.25 oz Horizon 11% @ 60 mins
.15 oz Zeus 14.5% @ 60 mins

.75 oz Williamette 4.75% @ 30 mins
.50 oz Centennial 10% @ 30 mins

1 oz Cascade 5.75% @ 1 min

.75 oz Cascade 5.75% @ Dry
.75 oz Centennial 10% @ Dry

White Labs 002 English Ale @ 68° F.

OG: 1.060 - 1.065 with ~45 IBU's

I steeped in 7 gallons. 5.25 gallons is my target volume after boil. .2 gallon per pound of grain must be factored in for grain absorbtion, so this would be 4Lb specialty grain x .2 = .8 gallons, and finally my boil off rate is about 1 gallon per hour. So adding this all up (with a little rounding), my initial steep amount is 7 gallons. I also give a little squeeze once done steeping after 30 minutes. I steep at around 150-165 F, trying not to exceed 170 F as this may extract harsh tannins.

If you're going to top up in the fermenter anyway, you don't need that much water for steeping or for your boil. Steeping won't be affected by using 3-4 gallons of water. Your hop utilization will change just a bit with the smaller boil volume (meaning you'll need more to achieve the same IBU,) so make that adjustment particularly for your bittering additions. Everything else is good to go.

If you're going to top up in the fermenter anyway, you don't need that much water for steeping or for your boil. Steeping won't be affected by using 3-4 gallons of water. Your hop utilization will change just a bit with the smaller boil volume (meaning you'll need more to achieve the same IBU,) so make that adjustment particularly for your bittering additions. Everything else is good to go.

+1 hop utilization changes. : (

you could do that recipe partial boil. just boil as much as you can. don't obsess too much about the hops.

First, that's not an extract and steeping grains recipe, it's a partial mash. (The Munich and Wheat malts require mashing to convert).
Second, are you sure it calls for 7 gallons? 7 quarts would seem to be a reasonable water volume for the mash.

-a.

Back