Brew bucket empty storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7845

Reaction score
Just got back into brewing again and bought a bunch of seven gallon brew buckets. I cant remember how they were shipped but one way or another they were unboxed. I dont know if i t was myself or my wife who stacked them in one another with nothing inbetween them. I remember it was important to not scratch them while cleaning them. My question is will stacking them in one another scratch them enough to damage them and cause a batch to end up bad? I looked with a flashlight and think i saw some light scuffing. Did i screw uo?

Use the nail on your index finger to scratch a groove in your thumbnail. Pretty hard to do since the two are the same kind of material and the same hardness. Plastic is like that too. As long as you don't have gravel stuck to the base of one when you slide it into the next there shouldn't be any scratches.

My LHBS stores them this way until sold, and I've had zero problems with the ones I've purchased from them. When I first saw them stacked in one another I threw a fit, but they laughed at me in much the way I now laugh at you. RDWHAHB.

Last edited:
I store them (common 6.5 gallon ale pails) stacked inside each other, never had a problem. I don't think they bind on friction, instead the bottom reinforcement ring rests on the rim of the bucket beneath.

If the outer edge on the bottom gets very rough and jagged, such as from dragging over a driveway, maybe sand it smooth again, to prevent it from picking up dirt and bits of sand and gravel.

Never had any issues storing that way. I'm still using my original ferm bucket from 1994. Love your bucket and it will love you back.

Back