bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSpunge

Reaction score
When I make my beer bread it comes out good and tastes great. But its very dense; how do I make it less dense (airier fluffier)? will putting more yeast in it than normal do this? Less water maybee?

if anything more water. higher water to flour ratio, or a longer slower rise, those are the 2 best things for me. depends on the bread of course, but the softest fluffiest breads i have made have always had alarmingly runny dough. what type of bread is it?

Hi,

What do you mean by beer bread as there are a number of different methods that I know of. Are you replacing fluid with finished beer in a standard recipe or are you substituting the bakers yeast with trub from a fermentation?

If its the latter then it will behave more like a sourdough starter in my experience and will benefit from a much slower proving to develop that texture than you would normally achieve with a bakers yeast strain. I also find cold proving overnight works far better than fast proving in a warm kitchen for that sort of bread.

If you are substituting finished beer for water in the recipe then I normally find it needs about 10% more fluid to reach a nice elastic consistency when kneading than when making it with water, possibly due to the different densities of the two liquids. It's not an exact science though so going by feel is how I do it. My rough rule of thumb is that if my recipe says 300ml of water and I'm using beer I will add between 320ml and 340 ml ish to get the same feel.

Hope this helps.

When I make my beer bread it comes out good and tastes great. But its very dense; how do I make it less dense (airier fluffier)? will putting more yeast in it than normal do this? Less water maybee?

Hard to say exactly from the info you've provided, a recipe would help. Final fermentation (proofing) may need to be extended or as previously stated higher hydration may help. Post recipe and or pics for better suggestions.

Also, check out thefreshloaf.com

It's the 'homebreadtalk' forum - loads of good info on all things bread.

I just spent an hour trying to post a picture I give up. The recipe is 3cups flour. 3 tsp backing powder. 2 tsp salt. 1/8 cup sugar. 1 yeast packet. And 0ne 12 oz beer of the non hoppy sort. While I truly love un-balanced over the top super hoppy beers. I dont think it fares well in a beer bread. I mix it all up and let it sit overnight. Then the next day i uncover it, need it, put in meatloaf pan let sit for an hour. Then i bake it for 50 - 60 min at 375. And I forgot . I melt a quarterstick of butter and pour it over the top of the raw dough before I cook it.. Shwew.

Omg I finally figured out how to post a picture I think. I really should try this kind of computer troubleshooting before I start drinking my Zombie Dust clone lol.

ForumRunner_20120929_172338.jpg

ForumRunner_20120929_172338.jpg

Hah, yeah I never post pictures for that very reason, too lazy to figure it out.

Not sure why the baking powder is included. Chemical leavening isn't necessary when you use yeast. Overnight might be too long of a primary ferment too. Might try waiting a few hours until the dough feels springy and then shaping.

Back