Brau Supply vs. Inkbird IPB-16 Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum08

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to get back into homebrewing but things have changed within the past few years! I bought a RIMS tube from Brew Hardware a while back and started building my own controller...then life got in the way. Anyways, I am ready to get back into it and am looking to completing my RIMS build with a pre-built controller to only control the Mash. I will heat the strike & sparge water and boil with propane. In the end I am really just concerned with holding a steady mash temperature. With that said I am looking at the Brau EZ Boil and the Inkbird IPB-16 any thoughts? I am not too concerned about the price difference if in fact the Brau will perform better?

Also, what are the thoughts about an ETC controller en lieu of a PID? I have been doing more reading within the last week and some people seem to think PID's are difficult to use . Thanks for any comments, looking forward to getting back at it!

for just maintaining a temp, you cant get much simpler than a pid - once the autotune has been done. I have an ezboil unit and multiple pids and the ezboil 310 unit is not easier for me to use. That said the ezboil has more featured for mashing and boiling and a better algorithm but none of that will really make an impact if its just being used to control a rims tube. For that application I would go with the inkbird for multiple reasons including both cost and the amount of work involved which "life" can delay even further.
the brau supply controller would be a better choice for a BIAB controller though. Ironically Brau supply themselves dont really feel this way it seems since they now offer a simple modified stc based hysteresis temp controller with their new systems stating the added complexity and functions of the ezboil or even a pid are unnecessary on the +$1000 system. (I believe it may have something to do with the large cost difference between the two as well)

Last edited:
Back