Brats, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1675040789104.png

What kind of casings did you use. I like the ease of Collagen casings. But prefer the texture of hog casings for my Keilbasa.

What kind of casings did you use. I like the ease of Collagen casings. But prefer the texture of hog casings for my Keilbasa.
Hog. I get them fresh from local Italian deli (well, they are wet, anyway). I don't believe I had one blowout with them. I used to buy dry/salted casings online, but man I had some nightmares with those blowing out all over the place.

Hog. I get them fresh from local Italian deli (well, they are wet, anyway). I don't believe I had one blowout with them. I used to buy dry/salted casings online, but man I had some nightmares with those blowing out all over the place.

Nice! I'll hae to ask the local butchers to see what they use. The hog casings I use have their share of blowouts if you get carried away. I don't enjoy sorting through them and loading them onto the stuffing tube. The collegan casings are so much easier, but the texture is not as enjoyable.

Nice! I'll hae to ask the local butchers to see what they use. The hog casings I use have their share of blowouts if you get carried away. I don't enjoy sorting through them and loading them onto the stuffing tube. The collegan casings are so much easier, but the texture is not as enjoyable.

I do a whole 10-15# batch with one casing. That casing goes onto the tube so easy, no effort at all. The ones I used to rehydrate barely fit onto the tube (smaller?). Also, your butcher might give you free pork fat on trimming day - mine does.

I did andouille a few weeks ago. Here you can see exactly one casing slid onto the stuffer tube. That held 10# of andouille. Note how loose that casing is - went onto tube fast. That's what I get from Felice's Pork Store (yes, that's the name of the little Italian deli haha).

1675462726013.png

Nice! We used to make Kielbasa a lot. We always used salted casings and didn’t have many issues that I remember. Our stuffer is a stainless cylinder with a wooden shaft about 6” in diameter that fits tightly inside. We’d load the meat, put the wood in, load the casing then pull the cylinder into your stomach to push the meat out. Great ab workout :cool:

I've done a few batches. Got a grinder/stuffer attachment off ebay for my kenwood and do about a 2kg batch at a time. The grinder is fine, but using it as a stuffer is a bit annoying, if I did bigger or more batches I'd invest in a stuffer like you have I think. I just do 100% pork shoulder into hog casings. Usually cured with no1 as I like the flavour then whatever spices. Some get smoked, some dont

Butter in sausage? Magnificent. I sneak butter into everything.

I love homemade bratwurst. I wonder if I can find casings where I live now.

Yep. Lemme tell you, it's a game changer. I don't tell people it's butter in there though. It's my little secret.

Regarding casings, lots of places to buy them online. Sausagemaker.com, butcher-packer.com, etc. But as I blathered about above, find you a local sausage maker (many italian delis make their own) and you're in business.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea casings were sold online. I live in the horse capital of the world, so I don't know if I should buy them locally.

I don't mind bulk bratwurst, though. It's all good.

I don't know what it is about butter. It spreads food's flavor around like nothing else.

You can buy casings from Butcher&Packer or The Sausage Maker. I have purchased sheep and hog casings from both places. Both have excellent quality. The pack size might be a bit much. They also sell them on Amazon. I have not been too happy with the LEM products although I am sure there are those who love them.

Attachments

• 97680-002jpg_89ff87df-f9cf-4f99-b71c-5466120caaa7.jpg
    97680-002jpg_89ff87df-f9cf-4f99-b71c-5466120caaa7.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Was out of casings so made some square sausage today. The typical scottish sausage is square, called Lorne sausage. It's a beef sausage with rusk though, I made a cured pork one so it'll be quite different. 1.65kg of meat made a 2lb cake tin and a 1lb loaf tin worth of sausage.

Back