Bourbon Barrel Porter Yeast Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpinon

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am going to be brewing Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter extract kit for the first time and after doing some reading on using the recommended dry yeast(Windsor Danstar), I have discovered this yeast has a pretty low attenuation. I've seen quite a few posters say the final gravity ended up around 1.025-1.030. To get a higher abv would it be acceptable to substitute the Windsor Danstar for something that will have better attenuation. S-05 maybe? Would this be a bad idea/negatively impact the flavor?

You would be fine swapping out with 05 for higher attenuation, or if you wanted to use both in conjunction, that would be fine as well. If its a barrel aged beer, you are going to get alot of flavor from the bourbon, and the maltiness will shine through. I doubt you would be able to differentiate between the two yeasts if you did a side by side comparison

Back