Bottling my Barley Wine!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm bottling my barley wine tonight! I'm adding 2.9 oz of dextrose to prime it and have to wait another 3-8 months (waited 2 already... been dry hopping, etc.). The beer looks great. SG was 1090, and the FG was 1020. It will be ~9.8%. I'm stoked.

I'm waiting for the dishwasher to finish so I can have a few more bottles, but wish me luck on the bottling. I have been checking on it 7-10 times a day for the last 2 months and everything is looking good so far! I'll post pictures when I pour my first glass!

Congratulations...sounds like you put in a lot of effort, should make it taste that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Cool, man. I can't wait to bottle my first barley wine.

I'm wondering how long it took to go from 1090 to 1020. I just started mine on 3/19 at 1096 and on 4/1 it was at 1034. It's still slowly chugging away. I'm not getting impatient by any means since I know there's a good six months of waiting after I hit final gravity but I'm just curious.

I fermented at about 70* +/- 1. It feels like it was pretty quick. I primary fermented for 1 month and it was done fermenting by then. I transferred to a secondary for 2 weeks while I dry hopped it. I'd give yours another 2 weeks or so and it should be around your target.

I made a barley wine 17 days ago that had an og of 1.125 and is now down 1.042 :drunk:, im hoping it drops some more which im sure it will since there is still very clear signs of fermentation going on i the carboy. gonna rack it onto some oak chip in another two weeks :ban:

Cool, man. I can't wait to bottle my first barley wine.

I'm wondering how long it took to go from 1090 to 1020. I just started mine on 3/19 at 1096 and on 4/1 it was at 1034. It's still slowly chugging away. I'm not getting impatient by any means since I know there's a good six months of waiting after I hit final gravity but I'm just curious.

As a data point my last barleywine went from 1.102 to 1.028 (terminal) in 4 days. It was in a keg dry hopping at 14 days, final keg at 21 days, and at 27 days a growler of it went very fast at a club meeting.

Oxygen, temp control, pitching rate, yeast vitality.

as soon as my stout gets out of the barrel, that's the next beer going in... nice job, sounds awesome.

Back