bottle de-labeling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm about to de-label some (a s**t load) of bottles doing the standard hot water and OxiClean (RIP, Billy Mays..) solution as I have done in the past. My question is: Does anyone see a problem with me soaking these bottles in my kettle? The last time I did this I used a big Rubbermaid tote that I no longer have. I'm concerned about the dissolved glue in my kettle somehow messing up future brews. Is this a concern to others, or would a thorough rinse of my kettle be enough? I have thought about using my bath tub but that just doesn't seem sanitary and I don't feel like cleaning the tub just to begin another cleaning project. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have a method they use to get rid of those sticker like decal/labels? i.e. Peacetree Brewing, Stone bombers and their Mocha IPA, 10 Barrel Brewing and many others. I love the stubbies Peacetree uses but their labels may as well be engraved on the bottle..Thanks again!

Also, does anyone have a method they use to get rid of those sticker like decal/labels? i.e. Peacetree Brewing, Stone bombers and their Mocha IPA, 10 Barrel Brewing and many others. I love the stubbies Peacetree uses but their labels may as well be engraved on the bottle..Thanks again!
Fill the bottle with hot water to soften the glue then you can slowly peel the label off in one piece. (don't soak first) If the glue sticks to the glass like it usually does, you can clean it off with charcoal lighter fluid or kerosene. If you're really lucky and pully slowly enough, the glue might all stick to the label. It's not worth the trouble for normal 12 oz bottles, but I peel bombers with plastic-y labels.

Foil labels: scrape with a razor blade, soak, and scrape again.

WD-40. Give it a few minutes to soak into the label. The stuff is amazing.

I soak in hot water and PBW. The labels come right off with zero effort. I did use Oxi-Clean until I noticed a white precipitate being left behind from it. PBW does not do that!

While I think I'd favor a tub over my kettle, I think you'd be okay if you thoroughly wash/rinse the kettle afterwards.

I only use PBW where it counts, and removing labels is among the least of them. ;)

For soaking off bottle labels I use some laundry detergent (powder mostly) in a large tub with hot water. Usually after a day's soak the labels float off.

I then use a stiff brush to scrub off any glue remnants, brush the inside with a bottle brush, empty out and collect in a tub or sink with clean warm water, followed by a thorough bottle jet rinse with hot water. Sometimes I give them a dunk in Starsan, but I know that has to be repeated before filling. I let them drip out and dry, before storing.

A box that held 10 reams of copy paper is great for storing 12 oz bottles. I think it can hold 33 of them.

I soak in hot water and PBW. The labels come right off with zero effort. I did use Oxi-Clean until I noticed a white precipitate being left behind from it. PBW does not do that!

While I think I'd favor a tub over my kettle, I think you'd be okay if you thoroughly wash/rinse the kettle afterwards.

I hope you're right! Due to my impatientness, hectic schedule and the thickness of my skull I went ahead and used my kettle..I'm going to scrub the hell out of it with hot water. I really hope it doesn't impart undesirable flavors into tomorrows brew. And I REALLY hope I don't have to get a new kettle!..

For general 12 oz bottle delabeling, I put a little washing soda or heavy-duty cleaner in a 5 gallon bucket with some warm water, and I soak the bottles a few (half dozen maybe) at a time overnight. Warm so it will mix better, and it speeds up the soaking the first batch of bottles. I use the same bucket over and over until all the bottles are done, or it starts to smell.

If the label is still stuck tight after that, the bottle goes in the recycling bin; I probably have too many bottles anyway. Most of them fall off, or the scrape off easily after a soak.

I hope you're right! Due to my impatientness, hectic schedule and the thickness of my skull I went ahead and used my kettle..I'm going to scrub the hell out of it with hot water. I really hope it doesn't impart undesirable flavors into tomorrows brew. And I REALLY hope I don't have to get a new kettle!..

You'll be fine!

I would say, go ahead and use the kettle. You will need to clean it well afterward. You might also need to re-passivate it. (if that is the right word)

I soak in Oxyclean, then scrub the remaining glue off with a Scrubbie. If the label is not off by then the bottle gets recycled and I try another brand.

I am 100% certain you will not have to get a new kettle. It shouldn't even be that hard to get it clean.

Back