Bottle conditioning yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello, not sure if I should post here or the yeast section.

I was hoping someone could help me out. I’m getting ready to brew a doppelbock and I will be bottle conditioning it. I was wondering if there was a way to get the classic larger chunks of yeast in the bottle of the bottle. Much kind old German and Belgians have the collective sediments on the bottle of their bottles and some advise to swirl the last bit of beer to collect it or give it a hard pour.

Actually sipping on an Aventinus wheat doppelbock while riding this and noticed the sediment.

Do I give the beer a good swirl before racking to the bottling bucket? I’m trying to go for authentic old school German, kind of this beer’s theme.

Thank you all!

Do I give the beer a good swirl before racking to the bottling bucket?

If you do that, you'll be getting lots of trub (not just yeast) in your beer. I would not recommend it.

Also, any bottle conditioned beer will have some sediment. Swirl your bottles when serving, if that's your thing.

It's my understanding with some Bavarian Hefe's for example, they filter the beer and then use a specific lager yeast for bottle conditioning.

If you do that, you'll be getting lots of trub (not just yeast) in your beer. I would not recommend it.

Out of all the batches I’ve done, I’ve never had the amount of settlement that a large brewery has given me. But you’re right, I don’t want to disturb the true to much.

It's my understanding with some Bavarian Hefe's for example, they filter the beer and then use a specific lager yeast for bottle conditioning.

I’ve read about this technique too. I might have to this after the lagering process in case there isn’t enough yeast cells left to bottle ferment

I've been exbeerimenting trying to not have quite so much sediment with my Hefes, obviously they always have some but not so much as homebrew. There will be plenty of yeast for carbonation for your beer, even if you were to primary for weeks and cold crash a bit to bright and clear the beer. Don't worry about that.

I wonder, is there a good way, or even a bad way, for homebrewers to effectively filter their beer and/or add a conditioning lager yeast at bottling?

I wonder, is there a good way, or even a bad way, for homebrewers to effectively filter their beer and/or add a conditioning lager yeast at bottling?

I’m debating on keeping some of my yeast starting instead of pitching the whole thing or maybe collect some yeast from when I go into secondary. Some people have suggested adding the sugar and bottling/kegging during the lagering phase.

Back