Bottle conditioning temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
I just acquired a fermentation chamber (ok it's an old fridge with a probe & thermostat installed) and of course, immediately brewed up a batch and let it ferment for 4 weeks in there.

Now that I've bottled that batch, I'm wondering if I need to let the bottles carb up in the colder conditions of the chamber as well. Which would mean I can't ferment my next batch in there due to space reasons.

Can I let my bottles carb up at (central texas) room temps (78F ish), or should these bottles stay around 60 until they go in the fridge to be drunk?

You can carb the bottles up at room temperature, no problem. They'll carb up faster that way with no bad effects.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees+, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Cooler temps just take longer. Just don't get too cool, like near the dormant temp of your yeast or they won't carb at all.

Just don't get too cool, like near the dormant temp of your yeast or they won't carb at all.

Carb time being long is fine with me, my main concern is my garage temp hitting the 90s during a texas summer. Is that still acceptable for carbing bottles?

Back