bottle conditioning a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there,

This question comes out of a recent discussion, "Lager Ferm temp & diacetyl rest," started on May 19. It yielded a lively and productive discussion. You can refer to it if you want some context for my concerns, but rather than bury my question there amongst over 70 posts, I wanted to put it in a separate discussion.

The question is simply this. Are there any lager brewers out there who bottle condition rather than keg their beer? Do you experience any difficulty rousing the yeast to do their thing in the bottles after a long cold storage period, and if so, what's your solution?

TIA!

I’ve only done four lagers with solid temperature control and they’ve all carbed nicely in the bottle. Those have all been with wlp800 or 830. Three to four weeks in the fridge after fermentation in those guys.

If it matters to your process, I only use a primary fermenter. I am still learning a lot about brewing lagers so i’m no expert.

Even after lagering there will be sufficient yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate. It may take an additional week or two vs. ale but it will happen just fine.

I've done it a couple times and actually did my lagering in the bottle. Not traditional, but it worked for me. Good results both times, but it was a few years ago and don't remember what yeast I used, etc. I'm pretty sure there are some threads here on that topic but I am far too lazy to search it right now...

I always bottle immediately after fermentation without cold crashing, let carb, and then cold condition. This may result in a bit more bottle sediment, but even if the few cells left after lagering can carb, it doesn't mean they will ferment as well as yeast that is fresh from a primary fermentation, which includes reduction of off-flavors (particularly diacetyl and acetaldehyde, which will be produced during bottle conditioning). The pressure created may also have negative impacts on viability and vitality for the purpose of off-flavor reduction. Some of this probably challenges conventional homebrew wisdom, but I have found it to be true in my experience. YMMV.

I've only made one lager, but I agree with the last couple posts:
1. ferment
2. bottle
3. carbonate
4. lager

To those with more experience: is a d-rest before bottling helpful or does it clean up inside the bottle?

I bottle lagers to free up space in my fermentation chamber. No problem with carbonation. I even used gelatin and bottled as normal. It did take over 3 weeks to carb up, but I left it out longer and then tossed it all in the fridge.

I've only made one lager, but I agree with the last couple posts:
1. ferment
2. bottle
3. carbonate
4. lager

To those with more experience: is a d-rest before bottling helpful or does it clean up inside the bottle?

You need extract remaining to do a proper d-rest, so doing a d-rest during bottle conditioning would require using as least some to carbonate. I've tried this twice, and while I got reliable carbonation, they were horrible d-bombs. Not to mention that the process is a pain and only works if you are ready to bottle when the beer hits your desired gravity. Also potentially dangerous. Using a cold lager fermentation, where the precursor to diacetyl is never even produced by yeast, would preclude the need for a d-rest at all, but I have yet to try it. Regardless, I think it is best for the yeast to only have to deal with the small, but generally perceptible amount of diacetyl produced during bottle conditioning itself.

Back