Bottle carbed in 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado68

Reaction score
Been brewing for a few years now and this is the first time I've had my bottles carb in only 5 days. Did a dunkel with a 3L starter. Primary for 4 days, secondary for 10. went from 1.056 to 1.010. Stayed at 1.010 for the last several days so I figured it was good to bottle. Cracked open a room temp one last night and it slowly oozed over. Just hoping this isn't a sign I may have BB at some point. Carbed at 2.7 vol w/ 4.5 ox table sugar.

The beer needs to be put in the fridge so it can absorb some CO2. At higher temps, CO2 will come out of the solution. And with a dubbel, which I usually carb on the higher-end, it would seem normal that it would gush at room temp.

When I used to bottle, I would have some beers that would be carbed well enough to drink after 5-7 days. It happens, especially with belgians.

Ive found that when I brew IPAs and Saisons without a cold crash, and my bottles are around 75F, they carb super fast

In my experience, if I'm bottling within 3 weeks after fermentation begins, with no cold crash, the large majority of my bottles will carb in 5 days. The yeast are still very active and will munch the dextrose instantly (basically you're making little starters in your bottles, except the yeast are already active and ready to roll, and starters usually ferment out in 5 days). 36 hrs in the fridge to settle the yeast out and boom, beer. That said, I wait at least another 4-5 days before drinking just to make sure, and to allow the yeast to clean up any unwanted byproducts.

Back