bottle bombs/transfering to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
ok so here's a little background info....

last november i started an ocktoberfest and let it lager in the basement all winter. Middle of march i bottled and its been sitting in a closet eagerly awaiting this fall/winter when im going to drink it. But the few days have been 95 degrees + outside and last night i had 2 bottles explode in the case.

anyways my question is... should i be concerned about others exploding if i keep them in the basement and they stay kinda cool, OR if i do need to worry about it... im getting some kegs this week for my new kegerator, could i pop the bottles and carefully pour them in the keg and leave the beer in there for a while?

(if i do transfer to the keg, i would try and purge the oxygen out of the keg first) (if possible)

Not knowing your bottle process, if you had two from the same batch go...then it's possible others could go as well.
You can dump bottled beer in to a keg...I don't recommend it, but I have done it in the past and did not notice any change in flavor...my recommendation if you do this, would be to connect your gas line to your out line (this is where you normally connect the line that goes to your tap) and turn the co2 to 30psi for a day...the reason, is that connecting this way will force co2 up thru the bottom and will rapidly carbonate your beer removing the excess oxygen you just exposed it to....after a day at this psi, connect the gas back to the in line and the tap to the out line, drink and enjoy!

when i bottled... i quickly boiled 5oz of priming sugar, cooled and poured in the bottling bucket. Siphoned the beer into the bucket, gave it a quick swirl, then bottled in 12oz bottles with oxygen absorbing caps. same basic process i always follow

Back