Bore Size on Draft Beer Shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjatrucker

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a kegerator. My questions involves what shanks to purchase. I plan on running 3/16th beverage line from the kegs to the shanks. I am convinced I want stainless steel for the shanks as well. Is there an issue with using shanks with a 1/4 inch bore as opposed to a 3/16 bore size? Lastly, is it better to have a removable tailpiece and wing nut rather than a tail piece that is fixed for purposes of cleaning?

I'm in the process of building a kegerator. My questions involves what shanks to purchase. I plan on running 3/16th beverage line from the kegs to the shanks. I am convinced I want stainless steel for the shanks as well. Is there an issue with using shanks with a 1/4 inch bore as opposed to a 3/16 bore size? Lastly, is it better to have a removable tailpiece and wing nut rather than a tail piece that is fixed for purposes of cleaning?

It's better to have the bore match the beer line. The pressure drop that happens when the beer hits the larger ID could cause CO2 to come out of solution, resulting in a foamy pour.

I have no opinion on fixed barb vs tailpiece. I have a pass through tower, so fixed barb shanks aren't an option for me.

If you're going with barrier line (accuflex bev seal) it's much easier to stretch the line over a removable tailpiece rather than an integrated one.

I have 1/4" shanks and 3/16" line I have no problem with it foaming or causing any problem. I would get separate nut/tailpeices, it does make cleaning easier.

Back