What size hole do I need in beer shank with 4mm EVA line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncB

Reaction score
I use 4mm EVA line on my kegs and will be getting some new shanks for some more taps ( perlicks).
Which bore should I get 3/16 or 1/4 inch.

I have a mixture of these two sizes on my current 5 taps having bought a different size ( due to ignorance) when I upgraded from 3 to five taps.

Does it really matter ?

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
They make shanks that are designed for use with duotight fittings. These are the ones I use, and I use the recommended reducer, it makes assembly so much easier than trying to get the eva tube over a barb. Intertap & Nukatap DuoTight Tower Shank

If you aren't using a tower, you might just use these with your choice of shank, Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) x Female Beer Thread | MoreBeer

Probably not made my question clear enough.
I have shanks as you have detailed on my existing 5 taps and have the duotight adapters on them to take the 4mm internal line.

My question is the metal shank with the 5/8 thread on the outside ( as you linked ) can have a different sized hole through the middle. Either a 3/16 or 1/4 inch and I'm wondering which hole to get in the shank?

fwiw, I lopped off the original barbs from my 3/16" ID shanks then screwed DMfit 5/8 BSPP to 8mm tubing adapters onto the shanks...

Cheers!

The 1/4 inch bore seems to be an exception anyway, must be useful if you are serving thick beer or soup on draft I suspect.

I believe the 1/4” bore are generally used for longer runs like if you were hard plumbing long lines for a bar or such. As the extra bore would help with the increase in line resistance due to excessive length

I believe the 1/4” bore are generally used for longer runs like if you were hard plumbing long lines for a bar or such. As the extra bore would help with the increase in line resistance due to excessive length

This statement confuses me, my beer lines aren't long as I'm using 4mm internal diameter tube.
If I changed this to a bigger tube I could have really long beer lines and then should need a bigger diameter shank?
Length of a tube is a linear relation to flow.
Doesn't make much sense because if you double the diameter of a tube you increase flow by 16 times.

Back