Bootleg Sour Solera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So I brewed a Flanders red recipe and decided to use the bootleg biology sour solera. It's my first sour beer to be brewed using a sour strain to ferment so my question is should I expect to see a krausen like my regular beers or will it develop a pellicle in the coming months?? Thanks.

You are going to get krausen in the same manner you do on a clean beer. Sometimes you will get a pellicle during aging. Try and keep as much o2 out of it as possible once the primary ferment is finished. Try and fill your carboy up to the neck for the long aging, and keep that airlock full.

I've found the quality of the pellicle is related to oxygen presence, which makes sense. Pellicles are formed to protect the beer from O2 interaction, and on the beers I've done a great job minimizing O2 presence, the resulting pellicle is thinner and not as "hearty". Only when i start opening up the carboy to dump dregs or sample does the pellicle start getting thicker and more opaque.

Back