Boiling water to sanatize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I don't have star san on hand but want to start a 1 gallon jug of cider tonight. Can i just immerse the entire 1 gallon jug in water and bring it to a boil to sanatize it? Then i will clean the hydrometer and airlock in bleach solution and rinse it in the cooled, boiled water.

Sound like a plan?

is it glass? Many glass bottles don't hold up well to boiling.

Most glass of bottles of the 1 gallon variety are fairly heat sensitive...

I would bleach the jug and rinse really well and repeatedly...

It is a glass jug. I figured as long as it was a slow transition up and down the jug should be fine? unless the internal water and external water got too far off in temp.

But if i bleach the jug. Would you use tap water to rinse? I am on well water and i'm OCD about picking up some bacteria from the ground water.

It is a glass jug. I figured as long as it was a slow transition up and down the jug should be fine? unless the internal water and external water got too far off in temp.

But if i bleach the jug. Would you use tap water to rinse? I am on well water and i'm OCD about picking up some bacteria from the ground water.

You could just always boil your rinse water.......................

Dude, if you have that much bacteria in your ground water that it will infect your cider, you have bigger problems than keeping your cider free of spoilage bacteria!

No worries with bleaching and rinsing with plain water...

Even if you brought it up gradually, pulling it out (let alone touching it with cold water) it could break. +1 on the boil rinse water (unless your glass has major scratches, then I would look for an alternative- scratches scream bacterial growth!).

Back