Boil Temperature in Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
May be a stupid question but when boiling, should I be paying attention to the temperature at which I'm boiling? Is it possible to boil too hot or does it not really matter?

Boiling water is boiling water.....it happens a 212 degrees (sea level). will vary depending on your elevation. Unless someone corrects me, I see no need to be paying attention to the actual temp. You can't boil "too hot."

However, as you are boiling wort, you may need to adjust you stove temp / burner flame higher or lower too keep boil-overs from happening.

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. I know, it sounded stupid even typing it. Just figured that I would ask. Didn't know that if you get too far above that 212 if it starts damaging some elements of the wort.

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. I know, it sounded stupid even typing it. Just figured that I would ask. Didn't know that if you get too far above that 212 if it starts damaging some elements of the wort.

You can't get the wort more than a degree or so above 212F at sea level unless you have concentrated it so much that it's nearly syrup again.

You can however harm the wort however by boiling too hard. The boiling point won't rise, but the rate of boil off will. You should be aiming to boil off about 10% of your volume in an hour.

You can't get the wort more than a degree or so above 212F at sea level unless you have concentrated it so much that it's nearly syrup again.

You can however harm the wort however by boiling too hard. The boiling point won't rise, but the rate of boil off will. You should be aiming to boil off about 10% of your volume in an hour.

Interesting... This is something I was not aware of. I was more concerned with the heat rather than the activity. Thanks.

Interesting... This is something I was not aware of. I was more concerned with the heat rather than the activity. Thanks.

There's also the angle that wort on the bottom of the pot (or on an element) may heat above the bulk temperature, and caramelize/under go Maillard reactions, or scorch.

Boil is boil the world over, recent info is that a huge tumultuous boil is not required.

If bubbles are breaking the surface your boiling temp not dependent.

Technically extract doesn't have to be boiled: it's boiled in the process of manufacturing it, which is why no-boil kits work.
I do the occasional extract brew and only boil long enough to hop. I did an imperial pilsner several weeks ago and only boiled for 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back