Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Brewing a blonde ale this weekend and picked up my liquid yeast today and plan on making a starter tomorrow. Went over to Mr.Malty and not sure if I should use Ale or Hybrid when selecting my fermentation type. I am assuming hybrid but want to be sure as the calculations are different between the two and want to make sure I pitch enough yeast.

I just went with ale when calculating for a blond ale. I dont think its a hybrid style if youre using 1056 or 001. If youre using lager yeast or something youd probably have to change the formula.

hybrid would be a cal common yeast or a kolsch or alt yeast

Well I will be using White Labs California Ale yeast. So I guess I will go with the Ale Fermentation type when making my starter. I thought the WL California Ale yeast was considered the Cal Common but I guess it isn't. Thanks for the help.

Well I will be using White Labs California Ale yeast. So I guess I will go with the Ale Fermentation type when making my starter. I thought the WL California Ale yeast was considered the Cal Common but I guess it isn't. Thanks for the help.

Cal common is wlp810 - San Francisco Lager yeast. It's the "steam beer" yeast. Since "steam beer" is copyrighted by Anchor, it's commonly referred to as "california common" beer.

A Cal. Common uses a lager yeast either White Labs 810 which is San. Fran. lager yeast or the Wyeast 2112 Cal. lager yeast. These are generally fermented at higher temps. The WL 001 you are using is just a simple ale yeast which is very different from these two lager yeasts used in a typical California Common.

Back