Blender for a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanitation is drastically overrated. It's important, but you don't need to wear a condom when you pitch your yeast like some people do. Err, wait.

Condoms have their place in brewing...haha.
ribbedandstudded.jpg

That's awesome. Did you poke a hole in it or were just waiting for it to fly around the room at the most inopportune moment?:rockin:

I may try playing with the hand mixer over the weekend. I'll post if I do but it's really a pretty easy concept. Rig up something to hold the mixer and plug it into a dimmer controlled outlet.

Here's my first attempt at rigging a hand-mixer to act as a stir plate. It works pretty well considering I didn't have to buy anything. Note: my hand-mixer came with a whisk attachment that made things easier as far sanitation goes--no moving parts in the starter.

IMG_02474.JPG

NordeastBrewer77 said:
On of the most annoying things on these forums is an OP asking if something works, or is a good idea, then getting all pi$$y when the responses aren't what they hoped for.

I asked if anyone had *tried*. You haven't. Take your advice from the rant you posted earlier in this thread and keep quiet if you don't *know*. I don't care if you *think* it's a good idea, I care if you have tried. You haven't. Shut it. One of the more annoying things in this forum is self righteous know it alls who can't even tell the difference between what was said and what wasn't.

Ravenshead said:
Here's my first attempt at rigging a hand-mixer to act as a stir plate. It works pretty well considering I didn't have to buy anything. Note: my hand-mixer came with a whisk attachment that made things easier as far sanitation goes--no moving parts in the starter.

Nice! Did you have to slow the speed of the hand blender with something, or is it slow enough by itself?

I used a variable transformer. It's pictured earlier in the thread. A dimmer switch should work just as well.

Here's the final build of this thing. I'll be using for the first time in couple days. I know this is a dead thread so I'll post it in a new one if it doesn't get any traffic. It's a nice, cheap way to make a stirplate if you already have the mixer in the kitchen.

stirplate-55814.jpg

I asked if anyone had *tried*. You haven't. Take your advice from the rant you posted earlier in this thread and keep quiet if you don't *know*. I don't care if you *think* it's a good idea, I care if you have tried. You haven't. Shut it. One of the more annoying things in this forum is self righteous know it alls who can't even tell the difference between what was said and what wasn't.
One of the most annoying things on these forums is an OP asking if something works, or is a good idea, then getting all pi$$y when the responses aren't what they hoped for.

Wow! I stand by my above quoted statement (and the others I've made on this thread). Sorry if you don't like it, sorry if you weren't pleased with me and others pointing out reasons why to not use a used garage sale blender for a vessel to make starters in, and sorry if you need to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I'm a 'self righteous know it all' to make yourself feel better. Oh, and sorry if you feel that I've again 'twisted your words', or taken them out of context, but you sir, are a real...... nah, not worth the trouble. :D

Re: plastic, yada yada yada like someone said earlier, I have a good quality blender, no plastic, thick glass pitcher and stainless steel blades. And, I use it for aerating my worts just prior to pitching yeast, works amazingly well for that. I think this could work, just don't run it continuosly 24-7 to aerate the starter, just turn it on lowest settings when ever you walk by for a few minutes....bet it would work alot better than just swirling it by hand. Way to think out side the box.

Back