Blackberry recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentski

Reaction score
I've been considering fruit beers as a strategy for clearing a pesky problem in my back-yard, and the biggest problem here is over-grown Blackberries. For years, I have "controlled" them and made use of them in pies, compotes, and dried fruit snacks. I live in Oregon and everyone has to deal with Blackberry vines to some degree, my plan for one section of the yard involves removal of ground soil, which will take half of the vine. I'm waiting until spring.
When this project gets underway, I'll be collecting as many ripe berries as I can. Most will go directly into my pies, and some will be decocted into my beer.
I'm a little nervous about the sugar level of the berries and I don't own any sophisticated testing equipment. This is the recipe I'll be "attempting". I haven't made a fruit beer yet and I think there might be a better Yeast selection, does anyone have suggestions?

3 lbs Wheat malt extract
1/3 lb caramel malt
1/4 lb flaked wheat
1/2 ounce Chinook hops pellets
1 packet ale yeast
3 lbs Blackberries
1/2 cup corn sugar (to prime)

Back