Black Specks in Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the best forum section for this question, but I'm looking for some answers as to what the heck these black specks in my yeast cake are. Pictures are attached. I received my shipment form Bootleg Biology in Aug. and brewed up a starter immediately to up the cell count and ensure the yeasties survived the shipping. Starter went off without a hitch. Now I'm ready to brew with it so I pulled the slurry out of the fridge to warm up to room temp before I pitch it. Everything looked perfect. As the slurry warmed it starter to build a little pressure int he ball jar so I loosened the lid and the change in pressure made some of the yeast float to the surface. That's when out of no where all of the black spots started to show up all throughout the yeast cake. In the 50 to 100 starters I've done in my life, I have never seen anything like this.

AF1QipPMtB4iFy8L7_GpN-GlotMAlrqC5d_ZTQrWjLGv

AF1QipPvb4OYEZIIoL4-cGUXI0NX0wqBKyZJfRGMDjcf

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_222554.jpg
    IMG_20191107_222554.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20191107_222526.jpg
    IMG_20191107_222526.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back