Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrain1983

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd be grateful on your thoughts on this as I'm still relatively new and I don't want to commit any obvious shockers. Cheers in advance:

Golden Promise: 71%
Munich: 12%
Carafa Special III: 9%
Caramunich III: 8%

Hops I'm currently thinking:

Tettnang as bittering hop with a bit of Bramley Cross for about 30 mins and then Bramley Cross dry hopping. I'd quite like to get some dark fruit aromas and taste so was wondering if anyone had some good hop combinations as an alternative? I'm feeling plums, dark berries etc

Yeast- WLP007

This should get me to 1.060 OG and 1.012 FG with EBC about 75 and on the quantities I'm currently thinking on the hops an IBU of 60. But I'm wondering if because of my grain bill I'll need to go quite big on hops to balance it?

Any thoughts would be appreciate thank you!

Hi everyone, I'd be grateful on your thoughts on this as I'm still relatively new and I don't want to commit any obvious shockers. Cheers in advance:

Golden Promise: 71%
Munich: 12%
Carafa Special III: 9%
Caramunich III: 8%

Hops I'm currently thinking:

Tettnang as bittering hop with a bit of Bramley Cross for about 30 mins and then Bramley Cross dry hopping. I'd quite like to get some dark fruit aromas and taste so was wondering if anyone had some good hop combinations as an alternative? I'm feeling plums, dark berries etc

Yeast- WLP007

This should get me to 1.060 OG and 1.012 FG with EBC about 75 and on the quantities I'm currently thinking on the hops an IBU of 60. But I'm wondering if because of my grain bill I'll need to go quite big on hops to balance it?

Any thoughts would be appreciate thank you!

Dark fruit is typically a description that applies to flavors which come from the controlled oxidation of sugars. So think dried dates, prunes, fruit leather. You get those flavors from a big beer with a high FG, aging for a good long time.

If you mean you want flavors like dark colored stone fruit like blackberries, plums, gooseberry, etc, there are probably some hops that will help you get those. Citra or Simcoe in the right conditions, Nelson Sauvin, hallertau blanc are my first thought

You can get dark fruits from a number of hops. I brew black ipas often. Your carafa III seems high and will lead into the hoppy porter. Aim for a 25-28 srm. That will make it black but keep it from being overly roasty.

in my experience earth/pine and citrus hops work best. I can see dark fruits working well too.

I’m thinking chinook & Columbus should be your hotside hops and enigma, mosiac, chinook to be your dryhops. A 2:1:2 ratio in order. That will give you your earth/piney base character That works well with dark grain notes and then notes of piney dark fruits will support/lead a lot of the flavor from the dryhop

Bramlin Cross, Bullion, Brewers Gold can be used. There are other hops, but usually they are not potent enough on their own, or you will just need to use a lot of it. I am a fan of Bramling Cross and Brewers Gold.

Back