BJCP category: Samoa Cookie Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwedbrew

Reaction score
I recently brewed a "Samoa Cookie Porter" that has Coconut and Cocoa Nibs as specialty ingredients, should this be entered as: 21A or 23A for competition? I know that coconut beers are typically entered in 21A but wasn't sure if the Cocoa Nibs would push it into the specialty category

I'd go for 21A and call it a "Porter with coconut and cocoa nibs". Just make sure that both of the specialty ingredients are detectable.

I’d go 23 Specialty. The caveat for 23 is it better be really special. If it’s not cutting edge weird, it’ll get killed.

I don’t see cocoa in a SHV, I could be wrong. The thing with SHV is that most judges hate it. They tend to get judged last.

Try it and see. Do ‘em both, let us know.

I'd go 23. I got a ribbon with a rye IIPA in 23...anything that is not under specific guidelines I would put under specialty

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I’d go 23 Specialty. The caveat for 23 is it better be really special. If it’s not cutting edge weird, it’ll get killed.

I don’t see cocoa in a SHV, I could be wrong. The thing with SHV is that most judges hate it. They tend to get judged last.

Try it and see. Do ‘em both, let us know.

I personally try to keep my beers out of 23 for this exact reason. The beers that get entered here are all over the place and it's unfortunately a category where judge preference comes in to play much more that most other categories.

If you're able to submit the same beer to more than 1 category, it might be worth submitting in both 21A and 23.

Thanks guys, I actually have 2 competitions coming up so maybe I'll try both categories. Its a pretty good desert beer and I have gotten some good feedback on it from members of my brew club so I decided to give it a shot in comp. Thanks for the advice :mug:

Back