BJCP 33B Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ithakaz

Reaction score
Question for you seasoned competition folks/judges out there.

For 33B Specialty Wood Aged Beer Category my local competition gives me this

The entrant MUST specify the additional alcohol character, with information about the barrel if relevant to the finished flavor profile. The entrant MUST specify the base style; the base style can be either a classic BJCP style (i.e., a named subcategory) or may be a generic type of beer (e.g., porter, brown ale). If an unusual wood or ingredient has been used, the entrant MUST supply a brief description of the sensory aspects the ingredients adds to the beer.

My beer is a Winter Warmer aged on dark rum soaked oak spirals. So for my information i'm thinking of including

Additional Alcohol Character: Dark Rum
Wood Character: Oak
Base Style: Scotch Ale

A Scotch Ale based Winter Warmer, aged on Dark Rum Soaked Oak Spirals. Brewed with Tart Cherries, Vanilla and Cinnamon

Now, do I need to include the information about the Cherries/Vanilla/Cinnamon? Or just include the information for the oak and rum? I know that spices are needed for 30C Winter Ale, which is what I would consider this beer to be, but this only specifies that if an "unusual wood or ingredient" has been used, I would need to supply a description. I just wouldn't want to get dinged for declaring things I don't have to.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking if anything the Cherries should stay, as they are definitely there in the flavor

Latest posts

Back