BJCP 28A and 28C question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Meerse

Reaction score
Can someone help me with the required descriptions for entering beers in these categories?

The first beer was made with maris otter, carafa II, and Omega's Bring on da Funk (oyl-212).

For 28A Brett Beer - "The entrant must specify either a base beer style (Classic Style, or a generic style family) or provide a description of the ingredients/specs/desired character. The entrant must specify if a 100% Brett fermentation was conducted. The entrant may specify the strain(s) of Brettanomyces used."

If I wrote: "Dark ale fermented with saccaromyces and brett" would that be enough information?

My second beer is a raspberry kettle sour. The base beer was essentially an amber ale, and I soured with Goodbelly Mango. The raspberry and sourness dominate the flavor, there's no "amber ale" to it at all.

For 28C Wild Specialty Beer - "Entrant must specify the type of fruit, spice, herb, or wood used. Entrant must specify a description of the beer, identifying the yeast/bacteria used and either a base style or the ingredients/specs/target character of the beer. A general description of the special nature of the beer can cover all the required items."

If I wrote "Raspberry ale soured with Lactobacillus" would that work?

Thanks very much!
John

Back