big batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
I've been around here for awhile,off and on..... done quite a few batches of stuff from beer through misc. fruit wines,ciders and mead and know about the steps req'd to produce some fine beverages. I've only done 5 gallon batches at a time though.
A friend wants to do a large(45 gallon) batch of cider from this years apple crop and will be picking up his squeazin's in a little over a week.

I've advised him of some of the proper procedures of fermentation(He's "old school") and doesn't believe some of the steps needed ie: campden addition etc.... my/our/his questions are as follows:
A, What quantity of campden is needed for a 45 gallon batch ?
(is it actually req'd-I had to ask for his sake ?)
B, What yeast should he use ? he wants the kick but not the dry.....
C, How much yeast should be used ? I know what's needed for the 5-6 gallon
batch,but for 45 gals. ?
D, Should he add honey and or sugars ? I'm aware of added sugers means
more fermentables ie: dryer,more potent....I like dry,he wants sweet but
potent.

I've rambled enough for now so...... Lemme know your thoughts on the matter at hand and We'll take it from there. Thanks in advance. Shane

If you wash the apples and sanitize the press, then you dont need campden. The cider will taste better and your yeast will start better without it.

If you dont have some way to stop the fermentation, it will get dry no matter how much sugar or honey you use. How are you fermenting this, in a barrel?

Yep, in a runnin'it off in a charred older whiskey barrel....
maybe a calculation to "kill off yeast at the end" and "back sweeten"?
might plan on using Nottingham yeast--What quantity (ratio to add) ?

Make sure you sanitize the barrel as well then.

I'd recommend S04 or Brupaks Ale over Notty for this. They taste better dry and with 45 gallons it may be difficult to stop the fermentation. Those two work very well for sweet ciders as well, but are more forgiving than Notty if you let it go too far.
If you have a 2nd barrel you could use a wheat yeast like 3068, 3056, 3638, etc. You can often stop a wheat yeast just by racking once or twice - but you do need something to rack to.

For yeast, you could either pitch 9x the amount that you need for 5 gal, or you might want to make a big ole starter and pitch that

Back