BIAB Trials and findings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
I have been curiously reading this sub-forum for some time now, I have been a BIABer for some time, but not in the "traditional sense", just used a bag in my MT instead of a false bottom, simply for ease of clean up. I consider myself a put your money where your mouth and love to tinker kind of guy so when I saw a bunch of different claims namely the 10 minute mash thread, it piqued my interest. Before I go on a little about me for background...

Started brewing in 2000, have been brewing all grain since 2000 as well. Have built many automated brew systems, my previous setup which was a 2 vessel fully automated electric rig, was in the NY times, and featured on the AHA as well(at the time the first of its kind, I believe). I have taken all the classes to become a Judge(just no test), feel I have quite a good palette and used to compete and do quite well. I have roughly ~600 batches of beer under my belt, and with that said I look to produce the best beer as possible on a home scale, and I don't think my pursuit of that will ever stop. I am not biased in any way towards one brewing style or another, but I do tend to follow German brewing standards. I don't want this to feel like a brag or a boast, but want to give you some background on me and my findings. I also don't want this to be an end all be all discussion either. I am not looking to start fights only show what I have found in my tests.

So with that the initial test rig
10530822_478490855626853_3202753433676354073_n.jpg

Standard configuration, 2 vessel HERMS accurate to the tenth of a degree fully automated. Been using a bag in the MT for some time as the vessels are not very movable to clean, and the bag was just a lift and empty. The difference was the standard was to NOT lift or squeeze the bag until cleaning time, meaning the literal only reason the bag was there was for ease of cleaning.
Fermentation is all the same. Temperature controlled Fridge with Brewpi and us05 at my standard fermentation temp of 66F(via temp probe in middle of wort)

Test 1: Brew a standard recipe and lift/sqeeze bag, then transfer all liquor to the BK. Adjusted grain absorption to account for the bag squeeze, and off we went.
Recipe Irish red, times brewed ~10.
Mash pH 5.4
Mash time 60 minutes
Mash temp 154
Boil time 60 minutes
SG 1.050
FG 1.016
Brewhouse Eff% 77

Test 2:Went to single vessel. Adjusted all parameters for no MT and no MT losses. New setup:
10849789_497032320439373_5656692431823208958_n.jpg

Recipe Cream Ale, times brewed ~50+
Mash pH 5.34
Mash time 60 minutes
Mash temp 151 initial, 146 finish
Boil time 60 minutes.
SG 1.040
FG 1.007
Brewhouse Eff% 82

Test 3: Stayed with single vessel added direct heat and stirring
Recipe Nilo's Blue moon, times brewed ~10+
Mash pH 5.36
Mash time 60 minutes
Mash temp 156 +-3f
Boil time 60 minutes
SG 1.050
FG 1.014
Brewhouse eff% 80

Test 4: All out crazy...Single vessel direct heat added recirc, crush to flour
Recipe Centennial Blonde
Mash ph 5.32
Mash time 20 minutes
Mash temp 152
Boil time 30 minutes
SG 1.048
FG 1.006
Brewhouse eff% 80
Note Finished brew day from heating water to lights out at the brewery under 2hrs.

Ok so all beers went to ferment, ferment went along as normal. Beers where then kegged and carbed, and sampling commenced at my clubs beer meeting on 2 of the 4 (Irish Red, and Blonde). We have some very seasoned veterans and a few Certified judges as well. Only 1 of the people present knew the nature all were just told to taste and detail the beers.

Test 1 Irish Red: Initial aroma there is something, some said a hint of butter, but the consensus was "something", it was really hard to put a finger on. Maybe slight toffee, maybe biscuit. Not off putting per say, but it was there as a hint. Body and finish of the beer was very good. Just like it had been in the past. consensus was I had to give out the recipe a few times :). I guess you could say it could be anything that caused that initial aroma.

Test 4 Blonde: This one kind of threw everyone for a loop (including myself). Off the top the aroma is slight corn, slight DMS maybe, but everyone kind of said no to DMS but some form of sweet semi-corny aroma, which did dissipate. The initial sip on the tongue was nice, a hint of malt, but then that quickly faded to a graininess, then went semi earthy, then to peppery. Many asked if it was Belgian. I would not say it is a bad beer per say, but certainly not what the previous batches of this beer have been.

Test 2 and 3 have only been sampled by me.

Test 2 Cream Ale: A caveat I make my cream ales just like like lagers. 60% 2row, 40% adjuncts, Low gravities (SG, and FG). So they drink like light lagers and are easy to turn. Aroma, none(expected). Initial taste is good, in the middle I get a slight green apple, then that finishes dry with a slight malt flavor. Perhaps it will age out the apple??

Test 3 Blue moon: The best way I can describe this beer is bleh, its not bad, but its not great either. Aroma is faint orange/citrus, taste is orange..sorta. it's interesting, aromas and tastes seem out of place?

Ranking the beers:
1. Test 1 Irish Red
2 Test 2 Cream Ale
3 Test 3 Blue moon
4 Test 4 Blonde ( I am aware that the lack of 60 minute boil could be negatively affecting this beer as well)

For my testing which is not very scientific, it seems as if the more I futzed with the grains/mash the more the end product was effected. I would say it like this:

If constant was a 40 point beer by BJCP it would fall like this:

Test 1 was 37
Test 2 was 34
Test 3 was 30
Test 4 was 27

Again not really scientific, but data none the less. I will be brewing a beer using my tradional methods for the next round to make sure my process is not the factor, but I don't think it is. Anyway, take that how you may, hope it helps and cheers!

That is an interesting basement. Love the floor drain. What are all the wires near the service panel for?

Ahh never heard of that before. I see it's been around forever when I googled it though.

FLow sensors on the taps. That is neat. I see the Barrel Brew keg is gettin kinda low... You sure do get involved in your hobby.

That's a seriously awesome set up. I love it.

Really interesting, sounds like none of the beers turned out super well. I'm sure the short boil on the 4th beer caused some off flavors or at least didn't remove them. This was pretty fascinating, thanks for posting it.

Test 4: All out crazy...Single vessel direct heat added recirc, crush to flour
Recipe Centennial Blonde
Mash ph 5.32
Mash time 20 minutes
Mash temp 152
Boil time 30 minutes
SG 1.048
FG 1.006
Brewhouse eff% 80
Note Finished brew day from heating water to lights out at the brewery under 2hrs.

What yeast did you use to get that attenuation? I might expect that if the mash temp was lower but it still seems like it attenuated too much.

If you want to compare the differences between your traditional brewing method and a BIAB method, consider brewing the same exact recipe on both systems. Something simple and you know well, like your cream ale. Then get the people you know with sharp palettes and let them taste the differences between these identical beers brewed with different systems, in a triple blind taste test.

What made you want to boil for less than 60 minutes for an AG batch????

What yeast did you use to get that attenuation? I might expect that if the mash temp was lower but it still seems like it attenuated too much.

Temperature controlled Fridge with Brewpi and us05 at my standard fermentation temp of 66F(via temp probe in middle of wort)

I think that I had full conversion so fast that I could have went less time and had proper attenuation.

If you want to compare the differences between your traditional brewing method and a BIAB method, consider brewing the same exact recipe on both systems. Something simple and you know well, like your cream ale. Then get the people you know with sharp palettes and let them taste the differences between these identical beers brewed with different systems, in a triple blind taste test.

What made you want to boil for less than 60 minutes for an AG batch????

Right, I could do that. But like I said it wasn't meant to be too much scientific, more a my experiences type of thing. Also I don't know if it is necessary, I have brewed it so many times, and its quite consistent. Could it be some bad yeast, or some other environmental factor... sure. Do I think it is, honestly no. Beers I have brewed in between these beers have turned out just like the hundreds before. But I agree that there are many other variables at stake here too.

I see shorter boil times thrown around on here as well, and this beer's first hop addition is at 20 minutes iirc.

Temperature controlled Fridge with Brewpi and us05 at my standard fermentation temp of 66F(via temp probe in middle of wort)

I think that I had full conversion so fast that I could have went less time and had proper attenuation.

But you only mashed for 20 minutes. How short of a mash do you think you need to get conversion and still control the amount of attenuation?

On my last batch I used a refractometer to gauge how the mash was going and found that the sugars were going up for at least 25 minutes. I don't know just what that means but when I tried a 10 minute mash before I had a refractometer I still got high attenuation. I blamed that on a wild yeast but I can't prove it.

But you only mashed for 20 minutes. How short of a mash do you think you need to get conversion and still control the amount of attenuation?

On my last batch I used a refractometer to gauge how the mash was going and found that the sugars were going up for at least 25 minutes. I don't know just what that means but when I tried a 10 minute mash before I had a refractometer I still got high attenuation. I blamed that on a wild yeast but I can't prove it.

Well for me to get a beer to finish at 1.006 I am looking at a 90 minute mash at around 148 traditionally. That sort of tells me 2 things.. crushing to complete flour conversion is pretty much instantly (under 5 minutes) and that me using 20 minutes was probably like a 3+hr mash at 152. My guess is sugar goes up with time, as you are converting those long chains. I am guessing all the short chains are done at ~5 minutes. For reference what was your 10 minute FG?

Most interesting cell is #4. I think the take away is that if you are recirculating the mash, and crush extremely fine, you may have trouble controlling the sugar profile because the conversion happens so quickly with that combination. It also suggests that a 30 minute boil may be insufficient.

Other than that, there are so many variables changed for each cell, no supportable conclusions can be drawn.

Brew on :mug:

Most interesting cell is #4. I think the take away is that if you are recirculating the mash, and crush extremely fine, you may have trouble controlling the sugar profile because the conversion happens so quickly with that combination. It also suggests that a 30 minute boil may be insufficient.

Other than that, there are so many variables changed for each cell, no supportable conclusions can be drawn.

Brew on :mug:

Yea, the part that I kind of concluded(for myself) was the more I "forced" fast conversions or sugar extraction, the more things got "funny".

Well for me to get a beer to finish at 1.006 I am looking at a 90 minute mash at around 148 traditionally. That sort of tells me 2 things.. crushing to complete flour conversion is pretty much instantly (under 5 minutes) and that me using 20 minutes was probably like a 3+hr mash at 152. My guess is sugar goes up with time, as you are converting those long chains. I am guessing all the short chains are done at ~5 minutes. For reference what was your 10 minute FG?

The beer that I have the recipe and notes at hand was a pale ale. I mashed at 155 for 10 minutes for an OG f 1.052 and a FG of 1.004. This was a 2 1/2 gallon batch with the following grains:

4Lb 2-row
12oz caramel 20
4 oz aromatic
4 oz Munich 10

Fermented one week at 62F ambient, then 2 weeks at 72 ambient, then dry hopped another 2 weeks at 72 ambient.

I don't know, I definitely think that the crush has such a role in this. What was your crush like? pretty much flour?

I know you did this just for fun and for yourself (and I'm not being rude when I say this) but I don't think your test really shows anything. What you did would be like if I wanted to see if a manual or automatic transmission was better by test driving a 5 speed manual Civic, 8 speed automatic Jeep, 6 speed manual NSX and a 7 speed semi-automatic Aventador. Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration but you get my point.

The best way to test this is to brew the same ingredients, using the same yeast, same mash schedule/temps, same crush and same boil time. Only thing that should change is the equipment.

Again, not being rude, just devil's advocate I guess.

With that said, your set ups are really nice. I would like to see this test done with the same recipe to see what the outcome is. Not that it really means one way is the best way overall, but for you maybe it would mean your procedure is best suited for that style of brewing.

Personally, I appreciate that you shared this. Regardless of how perfect/imperfect an "experiment" is viewed by anyone, being transparent with your methods allows us to analyze yet another context of brewing. Might not be the exact one that is preferred, but many need to understand that your brewing needs are important to you as well.

Even if the "experiment" is a worthy after thought, secondary to your primary goal ... I want to hear about it and draw my own conclusions.

This is one of many (hopefully) points of information that we can look back on years from now.

Latest posts

Back