Acceptable Speed of Heating for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have not brewed in a kettle since about 2007. Today I scraped the lizard poop off my 20-gallon Update International kettle and inserted my new brew bag plus at least 6 gallons of water. I want to get ready because I think I am less likely to screw up heavy beers if I use a kettle instead of the Braumeister.

I was afraid the stove would not heat up quickly enough to move from one stage of brewing to the next, so I am doing a test with the kettle sitting on two burners. I went from 74 to 124 in about 11 minutes. Is this in line with what other people are getting? I think the Braumeister is actually slower, but I have never timed it.

On the way to 155 now.

I have not brewed in a kettle since about 2007. Today I scraped the lizard poop off my 20-gallon Update International kettle and inserted my new brew bag plus at least 6 gallons of water. I want to get ready because I think I am less likely to screw up heavy beers if I use a kettle instead of the Braumeister.

I was afraid the stove would not heat up quickly enough to move from one stage of brewing to the next, so I am doing a test with the kettle sitting on two burners. I went from 74 to 124 in about 11 minutes. Is this in line with what other people are getting? I think the Braumeister is actually slower, but I have never timed it.

On the way to 155 now.

it's not a impressive rate, but I guess it's ok. Nearly same time. If you include draining or even a sparge, it's enough time to do that while wort warm up.

Back