BIAB Parti-Gyle Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a big and a little Belgian beer using the Parti-Gyle technique but wasnt sure of how i would do it with my BIAB setup?
Any advice for this?

I have an 11gal pot(current brew pot) and a 5 gal pot(old brew pot).

I believe you could set up a small batch in your 5 gal pot by heating up some sparge water in it. Take your grain bag out, place it in the 5 gal pot, stir it up and collect what would be your second runnings from it.

Did you attempt this? I was thinking of doing this myself with kind of similar thoughts on the process.

I guess trying this wouldn't cost anything. If the gravity on the second wort is too low you could either boil it down or just toss it. I think it would work.

Did you attempt this? I was thinking of doing this myself with kind of similar thoughts on the process.

I guess trying this wouldn't cost anything. If the gravity on the second wort is too low you could either boil it down or just toss it. I think it would work.

You could even add some LME or DME and call it a partial mash. :fro:

I've done an "accidental" BIAB partigyle. I was using some new brewing software and overshot my OG for a Best Bitter, and it was trending toward IPA or Barleywine. So I did a partigyle - 5 gallons AG Best Bitter, 3 gallons partigyle-partial mash americanized Best Bitter (with the addition of some LME and steeped with extra crystal). Both were delicious, but unfortunately the partigyle turned into gushers. :drunk:

What about running off most of your initial wort to a separate pot, then sparging the grains in your BIAB pot and using that thinner wort for your lighter beer. This gives you the ability to add back some of the first runnings to the second runnings if they latter comes out too thin. It may take a little experimentation to get the ratios right.

Back