BIAB Fence Hoist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeMerchant

Reaction score
So I'm debating my plans for this summer and I want to be able to brew outside in my backyard. I love BIAB, and would really like to figure out a way to rig up a wooden hoist to my fence (something like pictured below). I don't mind having it as a permanent fixture on the fence (or at least leaving it attached for the season), but my biggest issue is connecting to the fence itself. I'm sure I can figure something that will work out, but was wondering if anyone has rigged something up or has some other ideas. The other option I was considering was just getting a 8' - 10' galvanized steel pipe, drilling an angled hole in my fencepost, and sliding it in when I want to use it (I'd need eye hooks the same as in the wooden solution).

Fence.png

Just 5 gal currently (and I know, don't be lazy and just lift them - which really isn't an issue), but I'm probably going to move to 10 gal this summer.

I would keep it simple, say an 8' length of 2x4 lumber or EMT conduit with a hook or loop on the end. Basicly the "pole" is wedged against the ground and the fence base, the top of the pole is secured with two guy wires / straps / ropes. A ratchet pulley is connected to the top with the pulley at the bag.

ratchet pulley connected at the bag like this.....

I agree. Here's something I built for my canoe pulley. It'd be much simpler, cheaper, and probably stronger than what you have.

Why don't you just bore a hole in the post and slide a piece of metal pipe through the hole----

The other option I was considering was just getting a 8' - 10' galvanized steel pipe, drilling an angled hole in my fencepost, and sliding it in when I want to use it (I'd need eye hooks the same as in the wooden solution).

Why don't you just bore a hole in the post and slide a piece of metal pipe through the hole----

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good idea. My far more pragmatic brewing buddy asked why I didn't just get a ladder and use that like this, which is another good suggestion, although not technically what I was asking.

turkey-derrick.jpg

I have used A ladder the last few times and it works quite well depending on your setup. However with the legs on my burner I only have 2-4" of clearance between the bag bottom and kettle rim with the bag all the way up. Have to work carefully so I do not tip the burner and pot over.

IMHO, the less crap you have to set up and take down the better.

The ladder will surely work, but is just one more exercise.

My only issue with the bracket is that I'm north of the border, and checking around at the hardware stores it doesn't seem that they have any brackets that big. I'll tell you what, how about you order that from Amazon.com for me and I'll buy a set of your bags plus reinburse you the cost of the angle. You can ship it all up here together?

So I'm debating my plans for this summer and I want to be able to brew outside in my backyard. I love BIAB, and would really like to figure out a way to rig up a wooden hoist to my fence (something like pictured below). I don't mind having it as a permanent fixture on the fence (or at least leaving it attached for the season), but my biggest issue is connecting to the fence itself. I'm sure I can figure something that will work out, but was wondering if anyone has rigged something up or has some other ideas. The other option I was considering was just getting a 8' - 10' galvanized steel pipe, drilling an angled hole in my fencepost, and sliding it in when I want to use it (I'd need eye hooks the same as in the wooden solution).

Fence.png

You could fabricate the frame from some pieces of angle steel or channel from a home center store. Get the kind with holes punched. Then just use bolts to attach the ends like you have in your drawing. But instead of bolting that directly to your fence post, bolt it to a piece of 2x4. Then just use a couple big c-clamps to clamp the 2x4 to the post. When you're done brewing you can take it down in seconds with no holes in your fence post.

My only issue with the bracket is that I'm north of the border, and checking around at the hardware stores it doesn't seem that they have any brackets that big. I'll tell you what, how about you order that from Amazon.com for me and I'll buy a set of your bags plus reinburse you the cost of the angle. You can ship it all up here together?

I think my cost to ship a bracket to Canada would be exorbitant eh :) I thought all you Canadians just went to Canadian Tire for things like this....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...bracket-15-x-12-in-0687078p.html#.VRRqPPnF9WY

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-hook-with-jumbo-arm-0468423p.html#.VRRta_nF9WY

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/adjustable-rail-hook-30-in-0425958p.html#.VRRvP_nF9WY

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/15-in-forged-straight-hook-0595696p.html#.VRRvvfnF9WY

I think my cost to ship a bracket to Canada would be exorbitant eh :) I thought all you Canadians just went to Canadian Tire for things like this....

Ha ha, fair enough. None of the CT options are as nice as the one on Amazon (I'm concerned 15" isn't far enough away from my fence). Although I suppose I could then rig something like this up...

Fence.png

Then I can just see how close to the fence I'm comfortable with and cut the wood to measure.

Lag bolts. I don't trust deck screws for more than wood decking after sheering a few off under a 10lb load. Could have just been a freak thing who knows. :mug:

3_8x2_Galvanized_Lag_Bolt.jpg

Got any kids/grandkids? Build them a swing set and just kick them out of it for a couple of hours on a brewday. (I'm assuming you don't already have a swingset since you would have immediately recognized its usefulness as a bag hoist).

Got any kids/grandkids? Build them a swing set and just kick them out of it for a couple of hours on a brewday. (I'm assuming you don't already have a swingset since you would have immediately recognized its usefulness as a bag hoist).

THIS!!! Perfect suggestion! :D :mug::mug::mug:

You mean build myself an awesome bag hoist and disguise it by attaching swings to it so I don't get in trouble. That is a good plan, although you quickly identify the issue. Now to find someone to procreate with!

How about a tree branch?

Seriously, drive a big nail into the top of the post. Drill a hole in a 2x4 so it will sit on the nail. Run a rope to the bottom of the post from one end of the 2x4 so you can pull from the other end. The end of the 2x4 with the rope will be in the neighbor's yard...... offer him a few bottles of beer, or brew when he's not home. An eye bolt in the bottom of the post on the neighbor's side, and a rope attached to the eye bolt...... the rope hangs over the fence when you aren't using it, so you can loop it over the 2x4 and set the 2x4 on the fence post in a few seconds...... You only have to make one foray across the fence. Depending on how the fence is made, he might never even notice and you might be able to do it all from your side. I've always had good relationships with all my neighbors, and none of them would care. Last summer I cut about half of my neighbor's tree down to give light to my hops... A 6 pack made it alright.

H.W.

Go with one of these. Better mobility and you could make some money on the side.

I'll see your mobility and raise you...

escavadeira.jpg

And it's called Bagger 288. Aptly named for BIAB, I would think.

I think Wilser makes a BIAB bag for this. :D Just keep those spinning teeth away from the fabric!

Back