Beware the Ides of Märzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNorthernBrewer

Reaction score
image_3514.jpg

Or don't beware, that's cool too. Amber lager is delicious, whether you call it Oktoberfest or Märzen .
To read more about this classic style, read on here reader:

http://northernbrewer.blogspot.com/2011/03/beware-ides-of-marzen.html

Thanx for this one! Ever since I found a copy of Luchow's German Cookbook by Jan Mitchell (70th anniversary addition,dated 1952),extolling the virtues of Wurzbuger hofbrau's "march beer",I had to run it down. August Luchow's famous German restaurant in NYC was the sole US importer at the time.
I got no word back from Wurzburger Hofbrau on this one. I found reviews on beer advocate about it. But no place in NE Ohio to buy some to get a feel for it's flavor,color,etc. They are said to be the original brewers of "march beer".
Sooo,I have to wonder:since German beers were originally ales (like Salvator doppel bock),would this one have originally been an ale? Or did they come up with it after lagering came along? The book makes no mention of that fact. Though a complete description of the beer itself can be found in it's pages.?
They're all genuine German recipes in this book,by classically trained German chefs of the day. Even famous people & what they drank/ate there is included,like Teddy Roosevelt. Sorry for the long post,but this is so cool!

My cousin was drinking a German brew and I think it was Wurzburger. He got it on base Norfalk Va. I believe on the label it said something like this:

"Life is to short to drink cheap beer." :)

I brew a 'true' Maerzen during March and then brew a lighter colored Oktoberfest 'Tent' beer (like a stronger Helles) for September. My Maerzen is planned for the last weekend this month.

unionrdr,
Because of it's history I always put it in the context of lagers. The long lagering in caves and the fact that they didn't brew much past March due to it being too warm. Seems you could still make good ales in April in Germany but too warm for lagers. But that's a good question.

I brew a 'true' Maerzen during March and then brew a lighter colored Oktoberfest 'Tent' beer (like a stronger Helles) for September. My Maerzen is planned for the last weekend this month.

unionrdr,
Because of it's history I always put it in the context of lagers. The long lagering in caves and the fact that they didn't brew much past March due to it being too warm. Seems you could still make good ales in April in Germany but too warm for lagers. But that's a good question.

Good point. But they still "put away" ales for later consumption,since they made so much at a time during the months they were able. So yeah,good question,imo.

Back