Better to wait overnight or pitch at a higher temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
So I brewed my LHBS' Abbey Ale recipe last night. I don't yet have a wort chiller (I will after this) so I used cold water to chill the wort down. Unfortunately I couldn't get it down fast enough and it was still at 90 degrees at the time I was ready for bed. My kettle is too large to fit in the sink and I was already slightly over 5 gallons. I didn't want to add ice and thin the wort out. I went ahead and pitched before going to bed, although I know it has the potential to contribute to some off flavors. Airlock activity is through the roof this morning, so I feel good that creating the starter was a smart move.

My question, would it have been better to sleep on it and let it finish cooling down or go ahead and pitch like I did? My concern was that it would have more time for wild yeast or other bugs to take hold of the wort if I waited too long.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Pitching warm means that the fermentation is also warm, as the yeast took off right away. What temperature is the fermenting beer at now? I have a feeling it's still way too high. High temperature fermentations will cause off flavors like esters (ok in a Belgian usually) and sometimes fusel flavors ("hot" rubbing alcohol flavors).

I would suggest a bin or a large cooler as a place to have placed the fermenter in a water bath so that the yeast could be pitched at no higher than 70 degrees.

Yeah, next time just seal up everything and wait for the wort to come to temp. I usually try to keep a 1 gallon jug of store bought water in the freezer just in case my chiller wont get it down to *70.

When I do lagers, I put both the bucket of wort and the flask of yeast in the fermentation chamber and pitch in the morning.

I usually fill the tub with cold water and slightly crack the lid to let the heat out. Does cools pretty quick that way.

Once I forgot to crack the lid, and it was still really warm, so I put the solid remainder of a bag of ice in a sanitized freezer bag and tossed it in. Didn't take long at all to finish cooling it down. In fact, I then had to wait for it to warm up a bit.

Back