First brew day is on the books.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PashMaddle

Reaction score
I’m pretty stoked about it. I was going to post this in “my brew day got postponed” thread but it didn’t get postponed and now I have beer fermenting in the garage. Everything went well, I even hit my pre boil and OG which I figured I would have messed up. My strike water temp was off so my temperature was about 5° too high for my beta amylase….and a couple of degrees too high for my alpha amylase (2) rest as well but I think it will be okay…? Sanitation made me super nervous because I’m a noob but I sanitized everything and there was a bit of foam in the fermenter and on top of the wort when I pitched but “don’t fear the foam”, right? I would post my recipe but I just sat down after being up all night and the longer I hold still the sleepier I get so I’m going to bed and I’ll get to that later. Cheers!

Right on!!!! Glad it went well. Now you have to be patient and wait it out to actually enjoy the fruits of your labor. Gotta love that third shift mentality, I understand. I try and stay busy, but the minute I sit down, it is ZZZZZZZ time. LOL.

So what kind of beer is it?
The character sheet looks like this:

Brown Ale

American Brown Ale

5.3% / 12.7 °P

Anvil Foundry 6.5 120V

67.7% efficiency
Batch Volume: 3.2 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 4.42 gal
Total Water: 4.42 gal
Boil Volume: 3.97 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 / 10.2 °P

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.051 / 12.7 °P
Final Gravity: 1.011 / 2.8 °P
IBU (Tinseth): 25
BU/GU: 0.48
Color: 28 SRM

Mash​

Strike Temp — 154.4 °F
B-amylase — 149 °F15 min
A-amylase 2 — 158 °F45 min

Malts (6 lb 2 oz)

4 lb 8 oz (70.6%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L
1 lb (15.7%) — Briess Caramel Malt 60L — Grain — 60 °L — Mash
6 oz (5.9%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 350 °L
4 oz (3.9%) — Quick Oats — Grain — 1.3 °L

Other (10 oz)

4 oz (3.9%) — Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 °L
6 oz — Unsulphered Molasses — Sugar — 59.6 °L — Boil — 30 min

Hops (0.62 oz)

0.12 oz (12 IBU) — Sabro 15.8% — Boil — 60 min
0.25 oz
(10 IBU) — HBC 472 8.7% — Boil — 30 min
0.25 oz
(3 IBU) — HBC 472 8.7% — Boil — 5 min

Miscs​

0.5 items — Campden Tablets — Mash

Yeast​

1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) BRY-97 American West Coast Ale 80%

Fermentation​

Primary — 65 °F7 days
Carbonation — 70 °F14 days
Conditioning — 70 °F30 days
Carbonation: 2.6 CO2-vol

Wow! Copy/paste from BF is a lot easier than typing all that out...glad I had a "smart people" moment.

But yeah, this is pretty much the regiment I followed with the exception of the mash temps (as noted). I made notes to mitigate the temp inaccuracies on my next brew....and I lifted the malt pipe every 15 minutes during the mash because of the dead space issue with that feature on the anvil foundry. If I understand how BH efficiency works (I probably don't) I think that brewfather's default efficiency setting was spot on with how I conducted my brew night....now to drive myself crazy chasing 100%...

Last edited:
I have bottled beer after only 7 days in the fermenter and being that this is your first beer you might do that too, after all, you have no homebrew of your own to drink. One of the drawbacks of that is that not all of the trub (sediment) will have settled out in the fermenter and ends up in the bottle, reducing the amount of clear beer that you want to drink. By leaving the beer in the fermenter longer you can reduce the trub that makes its way into the bottle. I prefer to leave mine for 3 to 4 weeks, maybe even longer if I can hold myself back. The one that I waited for 9 weeks turned out to be a very good beer with nearly no trub in the bottle.

Their schedule for carbonation is a bit off. Being of a scientific bent, I have opened bottles early to see how long carbonation really takes and some of the bottles had significant carbonation after only 24 hours. YMMV I found that carbonation is only part of the process as the beer would make a few bubbles on the top that quickly dissipated. Giving the beer more time improved the bubbles staying power. 3 weeks in the bottle for most beers will give you beer that will hold a head pretty well. For your brown ale, that would be the amount of time to make pretty good beer. Beers that are darker in color and/or higher amounts of alcohol will take longer to condition. I prefer my porters to have 3 month and a higher alcohol stout will taste better if it has 6 months or more. One of my stouts that I managed to save a few bottles from being drunk up early was still improving in flavor after 2 years in the bottle.

Adding part of a Campden tablet will remove chlorine/chloramine from the water but isn't necessary if your water has neither. One Campden tablet will treat 20 gallons of water so decide on how much of it to add to your mash water based on that.

I have bottled beer after only 7 days in the fermenter and being that this is your first beer you might do that too, after all, you have no homebrew of your own to drink. One of the drawbacks of that is that not all of the trub (sediment) will have settled out in the fermenter and ends up in the bottle, reducing the amount of clear beer that you want to drink. By leaving the beer in the fermenter longer you can reduce the trub that makes its way into the bottle. I prefer to leave mine for 3 to 4 weeks, maybe even longer if I can hold myself back. The one that I waited for 9 weeks turned out to be a very good beer with nearly no trub in the bottle.

Their schedule for carbonation is a bit off. Being of a scientific bent, I have opened bottles early to see how long carbonation really takes and some of the bottles had significant carbonation after only 24 hours. YMMV I found that carbonation is only part of the process as the beer would make a few bubbles on the top that quickly dissipated. Giving the beer more time improved the bubbles staying power. 3 weeks in the bottle for most beers will give you beer that will hold a head pretty well. For your brown ale, that would be the amount of time to make pretty good beer. Beers that are darker in color and/or higher amounts of alcohol will take longer to condition. I prefer my porters to have 3 month and a higher alcohol stout will taste better if it has 6 months or more. One of my stouts that I managed to save a few bottles from being drunk up early was still improving in flavor after 2 years in the bottle.

Adding part of a Campden tablet will remove chlorine/chloramine from the water but isn't necessary if your water has neither. One Campden tablet will treat 20 gallons of water so decide on how much of it to add to your mash water based on that.
Oooh...I'm glad you brought that up.
I kind of just put a number in there as a placeholder, for lack of a better term, and intend to do readings after the 7-day mark and bottle once my FG is achieved. As far as my carb schedule goes, I was going to let it sit for a couple of weeks and play it by ear...or maybe do the plastic bottle trick.

I kind of wish I had brewed a pale or even...especially... a witbier (love those things) so I could bypass the ageing process but I'm trying to keep my brewing schedule in line with the seasons and those are both spring/summer drinks in my opinion. Of course, with that in mind, these won't be ready until spring anyway so if I age them I might go ahead and do a porter next (I already have the grain bill, just not the fermenter/ fermentation chamber space) and just let them both age until next Fall and do something that I can drink "young" to move the pipeline along and hopefully the brown and porter will be good then.

That being said, and since you mentioned clarity, would cold crashing be absolutely unnecessary since it is a darker beer? I'm not particularly worried about it in the grand scheme of things, the beer will do all of the beer things I need it to do regardless...more curious than anything. My main concern would be sucking my sanitizer from my airlock into the beer... but it is a process I want to try/learn.

Regarding bottling. I have some CBC-1 for "just in case" and considered using it for bottling/carbing (something like 1g for my batch size). I imagine I could just add it to my priming sugar solution in the bottling bucket and proceed as normal. The idea of adding new yeast along with sugar in a beer that I intentionally tried to leave sugars in gives me pause because I don't want bottle bombs. Would that be unnecessary in this situation since it's not a high abv beer (5.3% predicted) and the yeast is pretty high up on the attenuation scale ...so there should be a good bit of yeast remaining to carbonate? I have been doing some homework but my grasp on the subject is tentative at best.

I use the campden tab because my town's drinking water isn't that great and it tastes like chlorine, so I did that to avoid the off flavors from chlorine/chloramine...it's not super dangerous or anything but we do filter our water. Once I can come up with a decent ph meter, I intend to start using R/O water and doing water chemistry, but I have a way to go before that happens. Using half a tab was just me being lazy because I didn't want to do the math on how much to use for my batch size...I guess I can get that sorted before I do my porter in a couple of weeks.

You may not believe it but your beer could be at FG by the end of day 4. It still needs time in the fermenter so don't bottle early just because the hydrometer says it is OK. Let the trub the yeast stirred up have a chance to settle before bottling.

You could start another beer right away even though your fermentation chamber is full. Lots of brewers use a tub of water to set the fermenter in and change out frozen bottles of water to keep the temperature down. There is also a family of yeast that do well at higher temperatures (Kveik). You could also do a saison where you need to add heat to get it to its preferred temperature.

I have never had to add yeast at bottling. Even the batch that sat in the fermenter for 9 weeks carbonated just fine. You might (or might not) need to add yeast for bottling if the beer sat in the fermenter for several months.

everything seems to be going along okay. I had a scare with my airlock not bubbling but it turns out that bucket are just leaky so I did some taping to try for a better seal and took a reading ( I got the sample from the spigot, I didn’t open anything) the reading told me that the yeast was working and it was just a leaky bucket so I’m currently doing… nothing…

Congratulations on your first brew, hope it's the first of many!! Buckets are notorious for having leaky lids, I've had it happen to me several times. Kudos to you! I never bothered to tape them. In the end the beer was fine. Brewing is a labor of love, and an exercise in patience while entrusting the beer gods to bring you happy little bubbles. Enjoy the hobby and Mash on!!

So I took a gravity reading last weekend (1.012 ish) and I’ll take another in a day or two. I’m pretty sure it’s done fermenting but we’ll see. I might be bottling this weekend (and potentially doing a porter)

I think I may have boiled too long because I overshot my OG by.005 (and didn’t look at the volume like a big dummy) when I took samples it tastes super boozy and kinda watered down which makes me think it may have oxidized (?) I never opened the bucket but there was a lot of headspace (2 gallons ish worth) in the fermenter. If that could be the culprit?

It could just be my pessimism affecting my imagination. I’ll still bottle and condition it and see what it does in a month or so I guess.

Couple of comments, and believe me, I am no pro. Searching for 100% efficiency? Good luck, but unattainable from what I have read. I think the most I have seen or read was in the high 80's from guys that have really sophisticated equipment and processes. I have hit mid 70's once I got my mill, and I am good with that. Other thing was you mentioned missing your OG by .001? If I could miss by that small an amount I would be thrilled. LOL. I have missed by more and the beer still came out good. I think I read someone posting to relax, and I agree. You made beer!!!!! That was the intention and you did it. Now, get that stuff carbed up so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. I learned early on that worrying about the numbers if futile. If I am in the ballpark I am ok with that. a small miss could be good, maybe you will get a different flavor in there that you like. Congrats on the maiden voyage. I think you are hooked. LOL.

How did you like the BRY97? It is a beast once it gets going. At least that is what I found.

Anyway, congrats and good job. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Couple of comments, and believe me, I am no pro. Searching for 100% efficiency? Good luck, but unattainable from what I have read. I think the most I have seen or read was in the high 80's from guys that have really sophisticated equipment and processes. I have hit mid 70's once I got my mill, and I am good with that. Other thing was you mentioned missing your OG by .001? If I could miss by that small an amount I would be thrilled. LOL. I have missed by more and the beer still came out good. I think I read someone posting to relax, and I agree. You made beer!!!!! That was the intention and you did it. Now, get that stuff carbed up so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. I learned early on that worrying about the numbers if futile. If I am in the ballpark I am ok with that. a small miss could be good, maybe you will get a different flavor in there that you like. Congrats on the maiden voyage. I think you are hooked. LOL.

How did you like the BRY97? It is a beast once it gets going. At least that is what I found.

Anyway, congrats and good job. Rock On!!!!!!!!
I have no intention of trying for 100% bhe ..it was a feeble attempt at humor

I was super stoked that I only overshot my pre boil gravity by .001 and it turns out that I misread my refractometer on my OG (post boil ) though and I overshot that by .005 (I might have boiled a bit longer than I needed to) I was a bit shocked to hit numbers that close on my first go round. If I had good sense, I would have just topped back up with water to bring my OG down to what it needed to be. But a slightly higher abv is cool too…

The BRY97 is indeed an absolute monster. I’m pretty sure that the whole time I was concerned about my airlock not bubbling, that yeast was going nuts in there and all the gas was just escaping from a leaky bucket lid. It was probably done in 4-5days.

I’m going to bottle in a couple of days and then take a stab at a porter while applying what I learned from this brown ale…I am indeed hooked

I have no intention of trying for 100% bhe ..it was a feeble attempt at humor

I was super stoked that I only overshot my pre boil gravity by .001 and it turns out that I misread my refractometer on my OG (post boil ) though and I overshot that by .005 (I might have boiled a bit longer than I needed to) I was a bit shocked to hit numbers that close on my first go round. If I had good sense, I would have just topped back up with water to bring my OG down to what it needed to be. But a slightly higher abv is cool too…

The BRY97 is indeed an absolute monster. I’m pretty sure that the whole time I was concerned about my airlock not bubbling, that yeast was going nuts in there and all the gas was just escaping from a leaky bucket lid. It was probably done in 4-5days.

I’m going to bottle in a couple of days and then take a stab at a porter while applying what I learned from this brown ale…I am indeed hooked
Awesome. And yes, if you were that close on your first try, right on!!!!!! My first few were extract kits, so I don't think I could mess them up too bad, but I am sure I was off a bit. Topping off would be ok, but to me if you put too much water in then you have messed it up more. The grain gave you what it gave you, I say go with it as that is your equipment's standard, if that makes sense. Now, knowing that, you can adjust your grains to adjust for the level of efficiency you got. That is where a software program comes in, but if you were that close I say you did really well. Enjoy the process.

My daughter and I bottled up 30 bottles last night. It would have been 32 but she broke one (oops) and I may or may not have drank one flat…
I’m just in the waiting phase now. 6 weeks and I’ll be drinking it.

We’re going to do a porter probably a day or so after Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I'd suggest you only wait 4 weeks as that brown ale should mature quicker than my robust porter and that gets pretty good by 4 weeks.
I was counting 2 weeks for carbonation in there too…
So I should carb for 2 weeks and let it condition for another two ( as opposed to the four I had planned)?

I was kind of just making it up as I go and a month just sounded good.

… but drinking beer two weeks earlier sounds even gooder.

My daughter and I bottled up 30 bottles last night. It would have been 32 but she broke one (oops) and I may or may not have drank one flat…
I’m just in the waiting phase now. 6 weeks and I’ll be drinking it.

We’re going to do a porter probably a day or so after Christmas.
I say go the two weeks after carb, put a bottle or two in the fridge and see what they taste like. If they still taste green, let them go another two weeks. That's what I do for my ales. A week to carb and then one or two in the fridge to see where we are. You have 30 bottles to drink. One or two as test bottles won't affect that much. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!

I say go the two weeks after carb, put a bottle or two in the fridge and see what they taste like. If they still taste green, let them go another two weeks. That's what I do for my ales. A week to carb and then one or two in the fridge to see where we are. You have 30 bottles to drink. One or two as test bottles won't affect that much. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!
I really like the idea of “test beers”
…ooh! And I can probably work a few more in there for “research purposes” too.

View attachment 837841
I couldn’t wait so I opened one this morning and drank it…in the name of science, of course.
It isn’t terrible and tastes like a brown ale but I’m going to let them continue to condition for a couple more weeks and try another and it should be better.
One week. You may notice quite a change in just one week. If not, wait another. Eventually you learn how long it takes for that beer to mature. You need data points.

One week. You may notice quite a change in just one week. If not, wait another. Eventually you learn how long it takes for that beer to mature. You need data points.
One week. Great suggestion!
I will check in one week....I apologize for my oversight, you are absolutely correct, we need closer intervals of data input in order to more accurately monitor the progression of the beer. (and then weekly until "daily" becomes feasible)

I'm honestly considering going and grabbing one now, they are pretty tasty as they are (they're not cold though)

Last edited:
One week check in (week 1 of conditioning):
Y'all were right, it changed significantly. It has smoothed out a good bit and what I was afraid were fusels has gone away and I'm starting to taste a lot more of the malt character, the hops seem to be mostly on the finish and they're not terribly bitter while exhibiting their creamy/coconut/woody flavors that go quite well with the chocolate malt (what I was hoping for) ....and the molasses is starting to do its own thing in a good way (no metallic or sulphury flavors). I feel like it's a pretty good beer. I'm no cicerone so I could probably do better at describing stuff.... maybe I should just get another and practice...

Also, it's much better cold...whodathunkit?

Congrats! From your posts, it looks like you did the research and paid attention to various tips/advice throughout the process. Glad you were rewarded with a good first beer (-they don't all turn out that way =c) ).

Balancing production and consumption can be tricky. You don't want to run out, but you also don't want more beer than you can reasonably store. One key is to be thinking 1-2 months ahead when planning your Brewing schedule.

Congrats! From your posts, it looks like you did the research and paid attention to various tips/advice throughout the process. Glad you were rewarded with a good first beer (-they don't all turn out that way =c) ).

Balancing production and consumption can be tricky. You don't want to run out, but you also don't want more beer than you can reasonably store. One key is to be thinking 1-2 months ahead when planning your Brewing schedule.
Thanks! I did indeed do lots of homework and applied advice where I could..

I'm kind of struggling with "scheduling" right now because I know what I want to drink and when I want to drink it (now!) ...but I got my timing all banjaxed. I planned for having Brown ales and Porters for Fall and Sweet/Dry Stouts for winter but I got behind and have browns and porters for winter and I'm trying to figure out if I should start brewing for Spring (Pale ales...maybe?) or summer (witbier) next. I spend a lot of time thinking about this, but I never seem to have a calendar handy when it comes to mind.

Some people do calendar beer drinking as you thought you wanted. Some of us like to mix it up. I had a porter on Thursday and a pale ale on Friday and I don't know for sure what I will have today.

My fermentation is only controlled by the temperature of a room in my house. It gets way too warm in the summer so my brewing is all fall, winter, and early spring to take advantage of that and the brewing done then has to last until the next fall when the weather cools. Now that you mention it, I may need to put a wheat beer in the refrigerator for next week.:eek:
:p

I also foresee problems with keeping this beer around long enough to get another ready to drink. It’s actually good (I’m surprised) and it’s like “good” good ….I doubt that I’m biased because I’m my own worst critic so yeah…I keep drinking them because they’re yummy…and I may or may or mayor may not be slightly inebriated as a result.

Thanks! I did indeed do lots of homework and applied advice where I could..

I'm kind of struggling with "scheduling" right now because I know what I want to drink and when I want to drink it (now!) ...but I got my timing all banjaxed. I planned for having Brown ales and Porters for Fall and Sweet/Dry Stouts for winter but I got behind and have browns and porters for winter and I'm trying to figure out if I should start brewing for Spring (Pale ales...maybe?) or summer (witbier) next. I spend a lot of time thinking about this, but I never seem to have a calendar handy when it comes to mind.
I brew similar type beers close together so I can bulk buy the grains to save some money. I don't care to have styles by the season so that works out fine for my brewery. Drink different ones together is fine too if you have them on hand.

There's nothing wrong with sipping on a barrel aged imperial stout on a hot summer day or a refreshing wheat during a Wisconsin winter storm, like what we're having right now.

Depends on how often you will be brewing. I try to brew once a month and start planning 3-4 months out. I already know what I'm brewing in January and February and am now thinking about recipes for March. Sometimes it helps to start with "I want X beer ready by X date," and then work backwards.

If you brew regularly, having too much beer will likely be the problem soon enough.

If you want a wit in June, probably plan to brew it in late April/early May (I just brewed two wits last weekend, but I weirdly like them in cold winter months). For spring beer, consider SMASH (single malt and single hop) using pale, marris otter or vienna malt. Making SMASH beers is a great way to get familiar with the actual taste of individual malts and hops (and helps keep things simple while you refine your process).

Latest posts

Back