Best Yeast for Unpasteurized Cider???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoCiderBrewer

Reaction score
So I just became interested in cider making and am planning on making my first batch of hard organic cider soon. I am using completely raw organic apple cider straight from the press and I am wondering what yeast would best for production. I was originally gonna use Nottingham Ale Yeast but I am told it does not work well with unpasterized. Any suggestions??
Thanks,
CCF

Commercial yeast doesn't care if the cider has been pasteurized or not. Go ahead and use Nottingham as planned.

The only juice I’ve ever used was right off the press. I do treat with sulfite 24 hours before pitching yeast. My favourite yeast for cider so far has been White Labs WL775 Cider yeast.

The only juice I’ve ever used was right off the press. I do treat with sulfite 24 hours before pitching yeast. My favourite yeast for cider so far has been White Labs WL775 Cider yeast.

I was with you up to the WL775. That is what I used the first time and wasn’t a fan. Then I used EC-1118 and Champagne Pasteur. Those left very little flavor or sweetness. Now I use S-04, Brewers Best Cider House Select and 71b-1122. I’ve never had a stuck fermentation and I never add sugar anymore.

I was with you up to the WL775. That is what I used the first time and wasn’t a fan. Then I used EC-1118 and Champagne Pasteur. Those left very little flavor or sweetness. Now I use S-04, Brewers Best Cider House Select and 71b-1122. I’ve never had a stuck fermentation and I never add sugar anymore.
I have liked all of the yeast you mentioned except for the Cider House Select. I don’t recall it being favourable. I find the WL-775 leaves a yeasty flavour which I like. I’ve had some good ciders from EC1118 but I just had to wait for it to age. 71-B is good but I understand it will strip some acid out and most of my apples are short on acid. I have never added sugar but I have started adding a little yeast nutrient after pitching.

Back