Best yeast for a hoppy red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I'm trying to nail down a hoppy red recipe - something different and impactful for my father-in-law who is retiring soon. It's going to be malty and loaded with chinook and centennial (ok, so maybe that hop combo is more for me :)). Anyway, I'm pretty well set on the recipe, except for the yeast. I have "washed" WLP004 and slurry of Wyeast 1056 in my fridge, so I'm leaning heavily toward one of those because I am cheap. I've used 004 in a red twice now and it always turns out fine, buy I'm not in love with it. I'm totally happy with 1056, but I'm not sure how that will mesh with the rest of the recipe. For what it's worth, the malt bill is (for now at least) 2-row, victory and caramunich. Can anyone weigh in on which yeast to use? Again, I'm highly likely to use one of these that I already have.

I like Denny's favorite wyeast 1450. Be sure to mash low though, because it leaves tremendous body to any beer. It is also a slightly weak attenuator, however I have made several delicious reds with it.

Denny Conn actually is rated to attenuate better than 1056. I use it in my amber and mash around 155. I would say go with Denny Conn or just the standard 1056 for a nice hoppy red.

I've had good results with 1056 in my hoppy red. Got some dry hopping now.

Brew on :mug:

US05 made a great hoppy red for me. Like the previous posters I would agree that any clean American yeast would work.

Thanks everyone! I'll be going with the 1056 since it is more fresh. Really looking forward to this one.

Back