Best Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't changed out my thermometer in about 4 years and am afraid it may not be accurate.

Looking for a digital thermometer. Any recos?

Are the thermometers that mount to coolers and kettles accurate over several years?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Been using a standard stick thermometer bought at my homebrew store 4 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't think they would wear out, though some types can lose calibration. Have you tried checking it with known temps, such as ice water and boiling water?

Edit: If you do decide to get a digital thermometer, this one is very accurate and fast, for about $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
I and many others will recommend the Thermapen by Thermoworks. It may be a little pricey but they go on sale from time to time. There's nothing like having 100% confidence in every temp you take.

+1 for the Thermapen, I got mine for $75, w/o warranty, in an "open box" sale a couple months back.

You could also test your current thermometer against boiling water (adjust for altitude) and an ice bath for accuracy.

+1 thermapen on sale. It's now the boss of all my other thermometers. A quick calibration before brew day and we're good to go.

+1 for the Thermapen, I got mine for $75, w/o warranty, in an "open box" sale a couple months back.

You could also test your current thermometer against boiling water (adjust for altitude) and an ice bath for accuracy.

Has a warranty just no returns.

Another vote for Thermapen. Sufe they are expensive but difinitely woth it. When I bought mine I wonder why I waited so long. Fast and accurate, what more could you ask for?

I cook a lot and it sees a lot of use in the kitchen too.

Was using a $20 CDN digital and having trouble with FGs. When I suspected my thermometer was the culprit, I asked the missus for a Thermapen for Xmas. After I got my Thermapen, I checked the two side-by-side at mash temp and the ol' CDN was reading 4°F low, even though it was within 1° at freezing (+1°) & boiling (-1°). Problem solved!

Maverick makes a product that i personally like more then the thermapen, and I own both. Just get whichever one you can find cheaper.

I wanted one with a cord so that I could leave it in my kettle, MLT, or HLT to monitor temps from the outside. The problem was that the corded ones kept dying on me. Somewhere on here, someone recommended this Extech thermometer. It has been fantastic! I don't have a way of measuring to see how accurate it is, but I always hit my temps and boiling water reads 212. I try not to submerge the whole probe, but I have accidentally on several occasions and it keeps chugging along. I've done maybe 10 AG brews with it. For $25 I'm VERY pleased with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thermapen and they are wort proof also I dropped mine in boiling wort pulled it out rinsed it off and it still works great for over a year now..:D

Been looking for a quick reading digital thermometer. just placed an order for the thermapen. watched a youtube demo of it and damn, 2 sec reading..... im sold.

Are the thermometers that mount to coolers and kettles accurate over several years?

Great thread. I'm definitely going to have to check out the thremapen.

As far as the big hard-mounted thermometers go, the one I've been using has been pretty good. Its the ~2" model made by Fermentap and I have it mounted to my mash tun. Checked it against every other thermometer I have a while back (checking them all against each other) and it did as good as my digital ones.

The only knock I have against it is that it sometimes hangs up inside. I've gotten into the habit if giving it a tap with a knuckle on the glass before I read it. Sometimes it jumps a few degrees. The temp it jumps to is accurate but the need to tap it first is a little disconcerting.

Back