best sandwich you ever had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while since I've been back home, but I do miss a proper Cuban sandwich, from the Tampa area.

hah, we are spoiled in that one area. I'm near Columbus and Armenia, so there's plenty to pick from, though I prefer those who use Faedo's bread. (on fla ave.)

I love a properly done cheesesteak. That may be my favorite sammich of all time. Here in Florida , we have a few popular local sandwiches. The fried grouper sandwich here in the Tampa Bay area is good, but I get mine sans cheese. The Cubans make some serious sandwiches. They do differ a bit between the earlier arrivals in Tampa and the mid 20th century immigrants in Miami. The Tampa Cuban cuisine shows a bit of the local Sicilian influence at times, Genoa salami on Cuban sandwiches being the most well known, which is not really present in the Miami or even older Key West version. Most would tell you that the Cuban and to a lesser extent, the Media Noche are the best, but I really don't favor either. My favorites are the roast pork which is, for lack of a better term, a Cuban version of pulled pork in mojo, and the Miami style palomilla sandwich, which is the non-breaded thin steak topped with potato sticks.:rocking: Never really got into the empanizada breaded version they seem to prefer in Tampa.

I'm no cheese steak expert, but it's hard to beat Delcos. I travel to Miami occasionally for work too and have had their cuban, and call me jaded but without the salami it's just missing something. They don't press out like a tampa cuban, because the bread's different. It doesn't have that soft, delicately chewy inside. La Segunda and my pref, Mauricio Faedo have kinda set the bar on that one. That said, one of the Best sandwiches I've find of late is the Puerto Rican pork that is mojo'd out with extra jus. This one truck up on N. Dale Mabry even puts the potato sticks on it, ala primanti of pittsburgh fame. Another over in TnC presses chicharrons into the outside of their bread, like a little treat that comes every few bites. There's a running debate among coworkers as to whose is better. Getting back to the cuban, it's hard to believe but I can still find the real deal for less than $4 deep up in the city of tampa, With the roast pork.

Speaking of local eats... Smokin' Out up in Holiday.. Best.. bbq'd.. pork.. sandwich.. ever. 6.50 with fries and a drink. Better than Poppa's on 49th. I work close to there.. had it many times. That one is fail-safe too.

And since I've already gone there.. like I said I travel a lot.. best brisket sandwiches: Harry and Larry over in Winter Garden. Crazy moist and tender as a mother's love. Very close second, a little joint off the hwy 40 exit in Ocala called Champions, (no, not the one on 4th st.) They win on tender meets savory. Both outstanding. He has some smoked wings too that fly you home.

I'm no cheese steak expert, but it's hard to beat Delcos. I travel to Miami occasionally for work too and have had their cuban, and call me jaded but without the salami it's just missing something. They don't press out like a tampa cuban. Also, their bread is different than tampa's. La Segunda and my pref, Mauricio Faedo have kinda set the bar. That said, one of the Best sandwiches I've find of late is the Puerto Rican pork that is mojo'd out with extra jus. This one truck up on N. Dale Mabry even puts the potato sticks on it, ala primanti of pittsburgh fame. Another over in TnC presses chicharrons into the outside of their bread. There's a running debate among coworkers as to whose is better. Getting back to the cuban, it's hard to believe but I can still find the real deal for less than $4 deep up in the city of tampa, With the roast pork.

Speaking of local eats... Smokin' Out up in Holiday.. Best.. bbq'd.. pork.. sandwich.. ever. 6.50 with fries and a drink. Better than Poppa's on 49th. I work close to there.. had it many times. That one is fail-safe too.

I live in New Tampa and definitely want to check these places out! the best Cuban I've had here is at the Floridian near Treasure Island. Thanks for the suggestions!

My fav is Castillo's on Armenia about a block north of 275. Henry and Raul are awesome. A sandwich and a cup of black beans will cost a little more.. but, oh my. The morning cafe joints are good for a cheap one, but they can be hit or miss. Those are the places I'll hit on the way to work for a cafe con leche and a sandwich to go. I like how a cuban keeps for lunch.. it's history man!

I'm no cheese steak expert, but it's hard to beat Delcos. I travel to Miami occasionally for work too and have had their cuban, and call me jaded but without the salami it's just missing something. They don't press out like a tampa cuban, because the bread's different. It doesn't have that soft, delicately chewy inside. La Segunda and my pref, Mauricio Faedo have kinda set the bar on that one. That said, one of the Best sandwiches I've find of late is the Puerto Rican pork that is mojo'd out with extra jus. This one truck up on N. Dale Mabry even puts the potato sticks on it, ala primanti of pittsburgh fame. Another over in TnC presses chicharrons into the outside of their bread, like a little treat that comes every few bites. There's a running debate among coworkers as to whose is better. Getting back to the cuban, it's hard to believe but I can still find the real deal for less than $4 deep up in the city of tampa, With the roast pork.

And since I've already gone there.. like I said I travel a lot.. best brisket sandwiches: Harry and Larry over in Winter Garden. Crazy moist and tender as a mother's love. Very close second, a little joint off the hwy 40 exit in Ocala called Champions, (no, not the one on 4th st.) They win on tender meets savory. Both outstanding. He has some smoked wings too that fly you home.
I just drove by Poppa's today. Looked like it was closed. Did they move? My favorite local BBQ place may still be Frist Choice out in Brandon.

Poppa's recently moved across the street to the old Smitty's building. Haven't been in there yet. Ironically I also haven't been to first choice, but it gets high marks among my coworkers. When I'm over that way, I usually steer over to a permanent taco truck on the corner of parsons and brandon blvd. I'm hooked on their smack. lol.

btw, a little trick with Poppa's... order the "pork plate w/ two sides".. they'll give you a bun and it's more meat than a sandwich. build the sandwich. $5.63 out the door.

"The Riot" at Haymarket Brewery in Chicago. Italian sausage patty topped with pulled pork, giardiniera and mozzarella.

Best sandwich:

Day 3 of a camping trip, throwing whatever leftover ingredients we have into the cast iron sandwich maker and dropping it into the fire pit for a min on each side. Pizza sandwich variations, breakfast eggs, sausage & bacon types.. Although anything tastes like heaven when roughin' it for a few days.

Beer Pairing:

The last couple Sierra Nevada Pale Ales to make light of the trip back.

I just remembered one place that USED to have a really good sandwich. When Pollo Tropical (later called Tropigrill for some reason) first showed up in Tampa, the one on Dale Mabry that eventually became Hops had a palomilla steak sandwich that was really good. It had some kind of spread on it ,maybe an aoli type of mayo concoction and that was the kicker. The current incarnation of Polllo Trpocial does not have it.

My favorite is the classic Ground Bologna. The school in our small town served it up regularly and I'd go back for seconds and thirds. I've tried to find the recipe online, but there are so many variations. I've experimented at home, but haven't quite nailed it.

Just FB messaged my wife's aunt. Her grandma used to make it and her aunt makes it exactly like I remember. I hate cheating, but dammit I want that ground bologna like I remember!

Anyone have A Dibella's by them. I think they are based out of Michigan, but they have some shops here in western Pennsylvania now too. I'm a sucker for good old cold Italian style subs with some onions, banana peppers, and Italian oil dressing. This place really hits the spot.

My favorite is the classic Ground Bologna. The school in our small town served it up regularly and I'd go back for seconds and thirds. I've tried to find the recipe online, but there are so many variations. I've experimented at home, but haven't quite nailed it.

Just FB messaged my wife's aunt. Her grandma used to make it and her aunt makes it exactly like I remember. I hate cheating, but dammit I want that ground bologna like I remember!

My grandmother used to make this (i assume its what you are talking about) all the time. I hate bologna but this was out-of-this-world good. She would set up her countertop mounted meat grinder and grind up bologna and those hard pickles that old people eat...crunchy dill or something? Then I think she just mixed in a little mayonnaise and man... sandwich made in heaven for poor people. So good.

Anyone have A Dibella's by them. I think they are based out of Michigan, but they have some shops here in western Pennsylvania now too. I'm a sucker for good old cold Italian style subs with some onions, banana peppers, and Italian oil dressing. This place really hits the spot.

We have a bunch of them in Buffalo, but I have never been there. We have a few little mom & pop sub shops that give you no reason to go elsewhere. I do wish we had a Primanti Brothers up here though.

I would have to say that after reading the grilled cheese thread on here it would have to be 'grilled cheese'.

We have a bunch of them in Buffalo, but I have never been there. We have a few little mom & pop sub shops that give you no reason to go elsewhere. I do wish we had a Primanti Brothers up here though.

Growing up ten minutes outside Pittsburgh, I would die without Primanti's. My dad would take me to the original location in the strip district as a kid. Nothing beats that place, it's the definition of Pittsburgh food.

My grandmother used to make this (i assume its what you are talking about) all the time. I hate bologna but this was out-of-this-world good. She would set up her countertop mounted meat grinder and grind up bologna and those hard pickles that old people eat...crunchy dill or something? Then I think she just mixed in a little mayonnaise and man... sandwich made in heaven for poor people. So good.

YES! I think that's the recipe.

I've been slicing the bologna by hand or using a food processor, but it's not the same. I have used relish and mayo, but it's still not the same.

I wonder if it's pickled B that's the secret?

Still waiting to hear back from the Aunt-in-law. Meantime I might have to put a cheap meat grinder on my Christmas list. Then I could make sausages and other things too.

Can't choose between a super greazy Corned Beef I used to get at a Cuban Sandwich shop in Miami or a Prime Rib sandwich at Mavericks in Champlin, MN. No beers available to pair with the former. Surly Coffee Bender with the latter.

YES! I think that's the recipe.

I've been slicing the bologna by hand or using a food processor, but it's not the same. I have used relish and mayo, but it's still not the same.

I wonder if it's pickled B that's the secret?

Still waiting to hear back from the Aunt-in-law. Meantime I might have to put a cheap meat grinder on my Christmas list. Then I could make sausages and other things too.

I will ask Gram tonight and let you know for sure the exact recipe she used, but I can guarantee it was definitely those funky crunchy pickles. Hate them by themselves, but man they were good in that mix.

Ok maybe I don't need to wait, apparently my grandmother learned how to text:

Per her exact orders she says,

"Tell your friends to go to the damned store and ask the deli for a chunk of bologna instead of getting it sliced and get a jar of baby gherkins on the way out. Grind it up, put some mayo in it, have a red dog."

Straight from the horses mouth.

"Tell your friends to go to the damned store and ask the deli for a chunk of bologna instead of getting it sliced and get a jar of baby gherkins on the way out. Grind it up, put some mayo in it, have a red dog."

LOL!

Yeah, I was not going to continue using sliced bologna, but there was this massive sale on it at the local store and I froze some to use for testing. I just used it up last night.

Maybe I can't wait for Xmas and I need to find a cheap grinder somewhere soon. I actually had two of them, but couldn't get all of the parts to work together. I now have only one and the blades don't fit it. Yard Sale junk that was probaby mis-matched when I got it.

Actually, I could probably MAKE blades to fit at work. Machine shop with a wire EDM...

I'll draw one up with some nice tight tolerances for ya, I know how you machine shop guys like it...

I'm surprised her grinder still works from 19'diggity-02, always check yard sales for one but I guess if you had one you wouldn't get rid of it.

Best thing I've read on the whole internets all night!

Finished up the last of the ground bologna last night. I didn't need the snack, but we were out of bread for 2 days and I was not going to let it go to waste any longer!

Lining up some ingredients for the next round of experiments!

I could make some tinyu GB sandwiches for the start of the hockey season, but I have a foreboding that I will shovel them all into my mouth before the second penalty is called and feel miserable for the rest of the game.

Finished up the last of the ground bologna last night. I didn't need the snack, but we were out of bread for 2 days and I was not going to let it go to waste any longer!

I could make some tinyu GB sandwiches for the start of the hockey season, but I have a foreboding that I will shovel them all into my mouth before the second penalty is called and feel miserable for the rest of the game.

Pfft. Hockey. Must be nice to have a team to watch.

Harold's, The land of Giant food.
I was just telling the wife that we have to go back.

Sounds a bit like this carp. I admit to an affinity for any kind of canned meat, fish beef pork or mixed offal.

armour.jpg

I had a fantastic Philly Cheesesteak somewhere near downtown Philadelphia... with a Yard's Pale Ale.... was a GREAT lunch...

and had an awesome Pastrami sammich in NYC at a small deli... with a Brooklyn Lager... it was also awesome....

Those and some fantastic buffalo chicken sammiches I've made at home are the best sammiches I've ever had.

I like pastrami with swiss and sauerkraut on rye. I made this one myself (with homemade pastrami, from home cured corned beef), homemade sauerkraut, and homemade brown mustard. Didn't make the bread!

I wish I had one right now in fact. My piggy sons devour anything that looks like meat around here.

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

I like pastrami with swiss and sauerkraut on rye. I made this one myself (with homemade pastrami, from home cured corned beef), homemade sauerkraut, and homemade brown mustard. Didn't make the bread!

I wish I had one right now in fact. My piggy sons devour anything that looks like meat around here.

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

That sounds/looks amazing!!

My current favorite sandwich is pastrami with pepper jack cheese on an everything bagel with a "supremely spicy" humus spread. Heavenly ;)

OK---
Fresh Hard Bread (soft in the middle)
Olive oil
Imported Sopprassada Salami
Imported Sharp Provalone
Fresh Garden Hot Cherry Peppers (marinated in garlic and olive oil)
Oh mama

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

I didn't have any homemade pastrami, but I bought a package at the store and made some reuben type sandwiches last night. I thought making pastrami was kind of expensive, but after paying for the premade stuff, I can see how much money I'd save if I made it myself after all.

I used provolone and a sauce made with mayo, a dash of horseradish, and a small amount of ketchup.

Back