best sandwich you ever had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very partial to Reubans. I had a Reuban soup once -> basically all the ingredients for a Reuban, but in a soup.

I had an awesome muffalatta once at Tony Caputo's Market & Deli in SLC. Had a really bad one at The Bayou, also SLC.

The Bayou one didn't have the olive salad on it, which basically meant it was just a cold salami sandwich.

Glad to hear you know about Bahn mi. It's a mind blowing experience, especially to the uninitiated.

I understand your gut instinct (pun intended) about east coast vs west coast pastrami. Here is my take on the situation having had plenty on both sides of the coast. Yeah, they invented it on the east coast. But the true masters left for the west coast and settled on Fairfax in West LA. Having said that, you wouldn't catch me dead there, as they feel it reasonable to charge $20 for a sandwich that I can consume in a sitting. They are killing the golden goose. Sure, the tourist will drop a $20 for the experience, but you wont catch a local there unless they are showing around out of town family, or celebrating a once a year type thing.

I was going to mention muffalettas in my first post, but felt I was getting wordy already. One type of sandwitch I actually feel is very overrated is a po' boy. I have only ever eaten them in NO (my favorite eating city by far), and I have always been underwhelmed by the dry, breadiness of them. A muffaletta on the other hand, almost always good.

I too, have a strong passion for a good 'witch, and hope to sit across from you at a table somewhere in this great country of ours and dig in. Thanks for the happy thread.

Man you are crazy. The east coast does all things bread related better then any where else in the country. It is not even possible to get a decent loaf of french or italian sandwich bread outside if the north east.

Rueben at Roxy's in NYC.

HomerSimpson.png

I do have a long list of sammies that I like... But one that I crave on a regular basis these days is this... Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese with BACON!!! Sure, its not a foot tall, it dont have brisket on it(yet), but its simple and awesome!

jalapeno popper grilled ch.jpg

Favorite sandwich of all time...

Fresh baguette or sandwich roll, manchego cheese, black olive tapenade, roasted red peppers, and the best prosciutto or jamon you can find.

I never get tired of eating this.

kornblatts cornbeef and pastrami reuben is pretty freakin awesome.

Not the best sandwich ever, but when I lived in upstate NY I absolutely loved the roast beef subs from Wegman's. I miss Wegman's :)

I am going to throw two more out there that I adore.

Commercial: Lenny's Sub Shop Chicken Salad.

Homemade but inspired by one I had at a small Amish grocery locally: Thick Sliced fresh white bread. Fluffy but not so weak it disintegrates. Thin sliced roast turkey with crisp iceberg lettuce and fresh summer thick sliced tomato. Very light spread of mayo and a generous spread of strawberry jalapeno jam are the only condiments. Sounds crazy I know but it lends a sweet and subtle heat to the sandwich. So good, I might have to make one for lunch tomorrow.

Man you are crazy. The east coast does all things bread related better then any where else in the country. It is not even possible to get a decent loaf of french or italian sandwich bread outside if the north east.

Outrageous statement. Still, I applaud your enthusiasm. Eat heartily my friend.

Its an hour long trip and we do it a few times a year:

The Really Reuben at the Third Street Deli in Marietta Ohio.
Third Street Deli
Afterwards we go down to the Marietta Brewery (also great food) and have a couple of their own brews. Raspberry Wheat Ale is my favorite when its in season. Always a growler for the trip home.
Marietta Brewing Company

The "Dough Boy" from Blue Dot donuts in NOLA. I had the Dough boy at the French Quater festival last year. AMAZING! the bun is a donut bar not iced then filled with and Asian pulled pork and Asian slaw. Bun melts away in you mouth when you eat it. Paired with, what else, Abita purple haze or Jockamo IPA.

So, I've bee craving a cheese steak and was ironically just in Philadelphia over the weekend, but wasn't able to get one. But I've been curious about experimenting with it and maybe trying pork instead of beef, then found out that there is a Korean fusion sandwich at a food truck in philly that serves a Bulgogi cheese steak ...

anyone ever been to philly to have one of these?? and/or anyone ever make a pork cheese steak??

So, I've bee craving a cheese steak and was ironically just in Philadelphia over the weekend, but wasn't able to get one. But I've been curious about experimenting with it and maybe trying pork instead of beef, then found out that there is a Korean fusion sandwich at a food truck in philly that serves a Bulgogi cheese steak ...

anyone ever been to philly to have one of these?? and/or anyone ever make a pork cheese steak??

I've never made one with pork but it shouldn't be tough. I'd take a butt and shave it. Need something with some fat for a good cheesesteak.

I lived in Oklahoma for a few years and ate the Hobby's Special Italian Special a lot. (Cappocola, Ham, Salami, Provolone Cheese) I still crave that sammich from time to time.

http://www.hobbyshoagies.com/menu

Oh man I just looked them up and I'm really craving one now. I wonder how much it would be to deliver to Tennessee?

...Oh and the best BBQ place and best Chinese place in town was in the same parking lot. This thread is just plain mean!

And you guys gonna think I'm crazy but for me, a BLT, cooked outside, while camping out, at sundown, during the springtime. For some reason food always tastes better during a camping trip.
What wrong wid da beer we got?

A BLT from Sako's in Iwakuni, Japan. A life changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

If you're ever by Century link in Seattle check out my favorite sando at Rain Shadow Meats:

THE ROMESCO
House-made roast beef, romesco, chèvre, arugula, pickled onion on french bread.

http://www.rainshadowmeats.com/menus

If you're up a little North, go to Paseo and have this one:

Caribbean Roast
Pork shoulder coated in Paseo Marinade & slow roasted 'til falling into succulent morsels.

http://www.paseoseattle.com/index.php/menu.html

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We don't have a lot of fancy places around here for sammiches,save for sub shops & such. But I still crave Mr Hero's Romanburger,original one. Like a double cheesburger mixed with a hot Italian sub. Dang,I could eat a bagfull of'em right now! My stomach just growled. Another good one was the Reuben from this deli on the square in Medina,OH. Was a big,thick,1 Kg sammich with a pickle. Dang thing was like 3" thick.

Lamb Souvlaki at Hoagie Haven in Princeton NJ. Best tzatziki sauce in the world. Used to get them all the time in the late 70's. It is still there. Every other Souvlaki I've had at any other place has been a disappointment since being spoiled by theirs.

We don't have a lot of fancy places around here for sammiches,save for sub shops & such. But I still crave Mr Hero's Romanburger,original one. Like a double cheesburger mixed with a hot Italian sub. Dang,I could eat a bagfull of'em right now! My stomach just growled. Another good one was the Reuben from this deli on the square in Medina,OH. Was a big,thick,1 Kg sammich with a pickle. Dang thing was like 3" thick.

I miss Mr. Heros, we had one in Baileys crossroads here in VA until 2000. There was one near dulles as late as 2002 or 2003 but that one appears to be gone to. I did a search on their location finder and there isn't one within 150 miles of me :-(

I have to go over on Erie Avenue in Lorain to get to the only Mr Hero's close to me. The other is across from the high school in Elyria.

A bunch of good ones, but one that really stands out is the patty melt from a little diner south of me.

It's just perfect. Rye bread toasted, grilled onions, great pile of cheese grilled patty and the whole thing just dripping with melted butter. It really is death on a plate, though.

I Due Fratelini in Firenze, Italy

literally a hole in the wall wine and sandwich shop - super simple but the best bread and highest quality products.

Prosciutto and buffalo mozz is my go to as well as the wild boar/roast pork

http://www.iduefratellini.it/immagini/EnglishMenu.pdf

I wan never a huge fan of Italian food (neither authentic Italiano or the Americanized version), but some of the best sandwiches I've ever had were during my summer abroad in Italy.

They can keep the pasta, but I'll take a sammich from an authentic Italian deli any day.

if any of you are ever in florida, georgia, or SC and see a publix supermarket, their chicken tender sub has to be one of the best in the business.

I love a properly done cheesesteak. That may be my favorite sammich of all time. Here in Florida , we have a few popular local sandwiches. The fried grouper sandwich here in the Tampa Bay area is good, but I get mine sans cheese. The Cubans make some serious sandwiches. They do differ a bit between the earlier arrivals in Tampa and the mid 20th century immigrants in Miami. The Tampa Cuban cuisine shows a bit of the local Sicilian influence at times, Genoa salami on Cuban sandwiches being the most well known, which is not really present in the Miami or even older Key West version. Most would tell you that the Cuban and to a lesser extent, the Media Noche are the best, but I really don't favor either. My favorites are the roast pork which is, for lack of a better term, a Cuban version of pulled pork in mojo, and the Miami style palomilla sandwich, which is the non-breaded thin steak topped with potato sticks.:rocking: Never really got into the empanizada breaded version they seem to prefer in Tampa.

if you ever are in Syracuse, NY, the pork-sket sandwich at Dinosaur BBQ is pretty hard to beat. Pulled pork and beef brisket topped with jalapenos, melted cheddar, coleslaw, and of course BBQ sauce. You need a fork and knife along with a pretty hefty bib to get through one unscathed.

The Cubans make some serious sandwiches.

It's been a while since I've been back home, but I do miss a proper Cuban sandwich, from the Tampa area.

Maybe not as authentic as you'd find in the city, but there were a couple of my favorite spots north of Tampa. There a couple Larry's Deli locations, one in the Land O' Lakes area, and another in New Port Richey. I LOVED their Cubans.

In Spring Hill, we also had a place called Donnelly's Deli. Family owned place with a couple locations. They served a "Beast", which was an Italian, just loaded up with everything.

Those shops are pretty high on my "things missed the most" list, from back home.

Back