best ipa for the hops on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
So i picked up 6 ozof simcoe the other day and enroute are

1lb amarillo
1lb centenial
1lb chinook
1lb magnum
1lb citra
1lb sirachi ace

Looking to do my first all grain in a couple weeks and have all these hops on their way. I know its all personal taste but what ipa would you brew with these hops?

Oooh, I'd make the DFH clone (posted under my recipe pull-down) but bitter with magnum or centennial instead of the warrior. I LOVE simcoe/amarillo together!

That is definitely one of the ones on my list. And i think maybe the stone 9th anniversary. What about bittering with the sirachi ace. I read its a bittering hop that that goes good with the citrusy flavor and aroma hops?

That is definitely one of the ones on my list. And i think maybe the stone 9th anniversary. What about bittering with the sirachi ace. I read its a bittering hop that that goes good with the citrusy flavor and aroma hops?

I don't know. I don't use it it much, as I find it very "lemony".

I cant wait to brew something up. I opened up the bag of citra to take a sniff and makes me want to brew tiday. If i wasnt off next week i would have called in sick.lol

Not at the moment, do a search on the board for lake walk, will be the first to pop up. I think we sub victory for the roasted portion.

Man so good!

Lake Walk is a Pale Ale, not an IPA. If you want a great tasting IIPA with those hops, do a Russian River "Pliny the Elder" clone. You can find the actual recipe (posted by Vinnie, himself) by doing a google search.

This beer is the pinacle of what a hophead wants, IMHO, and easily the best beer I ever made. I added a touch of Chinook in the dry hop but left it pretty much standard otherwise. The beer is so good, every IPA and even IIPA in local brewpubs is a letdown to my both my wife and myself.

Rich

Yeah I should state, lake walk is not an IPA, but it's damn tasty. A lot hop aroma from Simcoe and Amarillo, just not quite the bitterness. It's a house beer among all my friends.

Now i need warrior and columbus

You could easily sub magnum for columbus or warrior for the bittering (60 minute) additions. Simcoe makes for great taste and aroma additions, as does Amarillo, so you could sub those more towards the taste/aroma additions. You have a great selection of hops, so don't be afraid to substitute. Just get close, and don't mix, for example, noble hops for "C", Simcoe, or Amarillo hops. I seldom do exactly the hops schedule in a recipe, but I stay mostly with hops like you have and with American Pales/IPAs.

Rumour has it that Pliny is an evolving recipe, now using Amarillo. The ones Vinnie handed out were a snapshot of one point in time.

There are some other IPAs in the recipe section that will work well with your hops. Lakewalk Pale also looks like a wonderfull recipe; on my list of things to brew. IIPAs are great, but it's also nice to have something tasty with real aroma more on the "session beer" end of the scale.

Latest posts

Back